Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What should my lens purchase be???

Re: What should my lens purchase be???

I agree, glass is more important in many ways. I use 50d myself but try not to buy ef-s because some day i might upgrade to FF some day. if your going on a budget the 17-40f/4 is fine, unless you need that extra stop of light. In most cases there isn't a real need to get the 2.8 unless your making money off photography because its real hard to dish out 1.5k+ for top glass. I run into the same issues all the time when it comes to picking a lens. If your mostly a hobbiest 17-40f/4 is great for wide angles, 24-105f/4 is great if you can only pick 1 lens to take with you like to the beach or water park with kids, 70-200f/4 IS to save that extra 800 bucks to get something else. You seemed to be covered pretty well rounded. Don't forget all you need is a camera and a lens ^_~. Lenses stay with you for lifetime if treated well, bodies get replaced.

Just to throw a monkey wrench at you, how about a 1D III. Think about all those FPS! That way you will allways get the "Perfect Shot" of your dogs.[]

But if you do consider it, there's one on KEH for about $1900. Here is the link, http://www.keh.com/Product-Details/1/DC029991062210/DC02/FE.aspx.

John.

$1900! Wow. I'd seen them on B+H for $2500 and I thought that was a steal...anyways, why do you suggest it? That sure is a monkey wrench...The 7D is better for the birds and dogs she shoots due to all the stuff Daniel talked about (I'll let him elaborate) and the 5D Mark II would be better for portraits and macro. And they'd be new. And if she went in the 1D3 direction her 300 wouldn't be that long anymore (390mm vs 480mm). And the 24-105 would make some sense.

*phews* this is very complicated. I'm going to go drink some water.

cheers!

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    learn from using it than a Rebel but don't want to overwhelm myself at the same time.

Well, the 7D is called a "prosumer" camera. Read: pro features, consumer ease of use and price. I don't think you'd be overwhelmed, but you might not use it to the fullest immediately. My suggestion when buying any camera is to fully read, from front to back, the camera manual. That manual will make any camera easy to use.

I am also hesitant on the 7D because there are as many bad reviews as there are good. Sounds like some are having issues with it.

Can you link some of those bad reviews for me? I haven't seen one hands-on review that was able to say that the 7D was a bad camera. what problems did the reviewers address? I'm curious to know, as I think it's a great overall camera for anybody and the reviews I've read seem to support this.

thanks,

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Can you link some of those bad reviews for me? I haven't seen one hands-on review that was able to say that the 7D was a bad camera. what problems did the reviewers address? I'm curious to know, as I think it's a great overall camera for anybody and the reviews I've read seem to support this.

thanks,

brendan
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

This is one of them. It didn't stop me ...I ordered my 7D today! []

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&amp;message=33193832

Denise

Phhh...Don't worry about those reviews. I shoot single-pt focus and don't have any of those problems. Congrats on your purchase, I think you'll find it to be a major upgrade. Try some bird shooting and post your shots!!!

brendan

...I ordered my 7D today! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Haha Denise I love your energy!!!

I totally understand you, but I also like to tease around a little when there are people so excited like you are (and I am) [] It's no biggie...currently the weather was bad for about 2 months now and now it's finally looking to get better in a short time!!! The bad weather really didn't help out with making good pictures. At least in my case...my keeperrate in spring/summer is a lot higher than it was last 2 months, and it gets you thinking. Maybe I should buy a better camera/lens etc [:P]

Back to the point! I'm glad you decided on a 7D and not a FF camera! I was anxious, because I already saw you selling your 300mm because it didn't do what it used to do on your T1i [:P] The 7D is a great choice!

Last but not least I vote for a 17-55. It's just a brilliant lens and it will give you nice pictures as long as you get a good composition[A] It would suit you very well I think. At least I was a very happy owner and I know for sure there are many here that agree with me.

Good luck and enjoy the weather which gets better by the day [H]

Thanks to all the suggestions!!!

I ended up getting the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. After much debating, I think this one will workgreat for me! Both the 7D and 17-55mm are on order but as soon as I get a chance, I will post some photos!

Thanks again,

Denise []

Sound great Denise! Have fun at your road trip!