Thread: C&C - Backyard Birds III

C&C - Backyard Birds III

Hi all,

Here are some new attempts at backyard bird images from today. The last couple of weeks I've been using elaborate perches, but this weekend I legit planted some hydrangeas in my backyard near the feeding stations. As these birds are fairly skittish, they constantly stop off at the hydrangeas before coming to a birdfeeder. Here are some of the images I took today. All C&C is welcome.

Equipment was the EOS 7D and 300mm f/4L IS USM lens, no flash on Manual Exposure.

f/4.0, 1/500, ISO 400

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_3528.jpg[/img]

f/5.6, 1/320, ISO 640.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/780x1040/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_3560.jpg[/img]

f/5.6, 1/320, ISO 640

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/780x1040/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_3591.jpg[/img]

Thanks for viewing and commenting

Brendan

Re: C&C - Backyard Birds III

Great shots. These show some nice personality, I think.

Nice shots. Really makes me want that 300 I have been dreaming about

Mark
    Mark

OK, one last one. This one was taken past 4 o'clock. As I was in the shade on a very overcast day, I had to boost ISO to high heaven.

7D+300 IS f/4L @ f/4.5, 1/500, ISO 1250.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/780x1040/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_3666.jpg[/img]

thanks for viewing & commenting

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    Nice shots. Really makes me want that 300 I have been dreaming about

thanks...I've been working on it for quite a while. Good to know I'm getting somewhere [H]

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Great shots. These show some nice personality, I think.

Thanks Daniel. I'm looking into getting a blind, as of now the larger birds (woodpeckers, cardinals etc) are still freaked out by my presence. So much crap to buy [8o|]

brendan

I think the first two are a bit too bright in the highlights, try using levels to bring them down.

The last is to dark, use levels and tone curve to brighten it up.

The second ismotion blured; use a higher shutter speed, tripod, monopod, get in more stable postion.

Are you shooting in RAW? It gives you more flexibility in the post, and no jpeg artifacts from saving twice in jpeg. Every time you save injpeg you are compressing it andinducing more artifacts thennecessary.When you reduceyou images for display; reduce them,save in 16 bit Tiff,sharpen the reduced copy, save in lowest quality jpeg. Theywill look better than if you savedin jpegtwice even if the file size is twiceas big.

John.