Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready to add a 2nd camera

Re: Ready to add a 2nd camera

I think the 7D is a great camera for sports, but make sure you budget enough for some great glass to go with it (like the 85 and 100mm you are considering).

For what it is worth, I use both crop factor formats. The 1.6 crop series for sports/activities using a 70-200 (2.8) is terrific, the FF for the all encompassing perspectives with a 24-70 or 16/17-35/40 is a wonder. Versatility v specificity for the second camera is the key.

Thanks for all the great response's. I was tempted to ask about the new T2i, but I don't need to now, since others have already posted that the 7D is superior to the T2i especially when it comes to sports/action shots.

It sure sounds like the 7D is the way I should go, along with upgrading to some better glass. I think the 85mm or 100mm will do nicely for my sports action.

Any opinions on a good everyday carry around lens for those moments other than sports?

Quote Originally Posted by donnman

Any opinions on a good everyday carry around lens for those moments other than sports?

If you have the funds, the best 'walkaround' lens for the 7D or any 1.6x crop body is theEF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. It covers wide angle to short telephoto (based on full frame equivalent angles of view), has a fast, constant f/2.8 aperture, and image stabilization. Image quality is excellent. The focal length also sits nicely under the 85mm or 100mm telephotos. It's the lens that's on my camera most of the time, unless I have a specific goal in mind (close-up portraits with the EF 85mm f/1.8, macro with the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, etc.).

Depending on your budget, one more sports lens for you to consider is theEF 135mm f/2.0 L USM Lens- slightly longer focal length than the 100mm f/2, same fast aperture, truly excellent IQ.