Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canon software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: canon software

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowe87

Though you should be shooting raw either way. :P
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I bet my reply starts some debate as if we have not seen it here already.

Why shoot raw. I never do. If you capture your image with correct exposure you do not need raw. JPEG work flow is easyer and quicker.

I have never loaded DPP. I use PSE 5. My customers love my work.

Check out the 6 lies of photography . Lie #3 is about raw vs jpeg.

Bottom line, the computer, camera, etc.. are all tools. Shooting basics still apply with digital as with film.

Mark
    Mark

Alan

Mark, you definitely will start something with this...[]

I've seen that 6 lies of photography before. It has some good points, but "Lie #3" isn't one of them.

RAW shooting gives you latitude that a jpg cannot (since it's a "cooked" image, with the camera throwing away lots of data right out of the box).

Let the debate begin!!

I cannot argue with you saying that under the correct conditions JPGs produce images of any worse quality than raws.

I have a few reasons why I choose to shoot raw I suppose...

1. I am not always entirely sure of exactly what my conditions are, haha. If I was working in a studio situation at all times setting my own lighting conditions and shooting static subjects I would maybe use JPG. As it happens though, I am not, if I am outdoors (or moving from indoor to outdoor and vice-versa) and lighting conditions are changing often I would rather worry about my subject than my white balance for instance.

2. Raws are not compressed. I want to know that I am getting as much out of the camera as possible, I just wouldn't feel right having files that I know are already modified before I even get a look at them.

3. Memory is cheap, and getting cheaper all the time. While it may seem frightening that raw images are often 5-6 times the size of their JPG counterparts, I don't see it as much of an issue. With portable hard drives always coming down in price, we all have TB of data storage at our disposal at a very reasonable price considering what we pay for gear.

4. The recovery of detail from raw images continues to amaze me. Obviously we all aim to get the right shot the first time, but from time to time mistake happen, and I just feel that shooting raw provides a get out of jail free card. Why wouldn't I use it?

I am sure others could add other reasons for their choice, but this is all that comes to mind for me at the moment. Do understand I am in no way against the choice to shoot JPG alone, and I know many images have been and will continue to be captured this way. Maybe you JPG folks are just braver than me. []

Jordan

OK, I'm in the process now of installing the software. However, I am not installing the image browser, since I want to continue using iphoto, is this correct?

I would say thats a good plan. Make sure you pick up EOS Utility though, as mentioned, since it can be used to enhance the functionality of your camera. It can do things such as allow tethered shooting, change picture styles, or just update firmware.

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by hawkerman

OK, I'm in the process now of installing the software. However, I am not installing the image browser, since I want to continue using iphoto, is this correct?

It won't hurt to install it. I did, and you can still choose to use iPhoto as the default if you prefer.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

I have never loaded DPP. I use PSE 5.

Mark, I should have asked this with my previous post.

PSE is an editing software. What are you editing? Unless, you just use the Organizer to organize your photos....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

PSE is an editing software. What are you editing? Unless, you just use the Organizer to organize your photos....

I am a part time professional shooting weddings and portraits. I shoot only JPEG, organize and edit photos in PSE 5.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowe87

Though you should be shooting raw either way. :P

I bet my reply starts some debate as if we have not seen it here already.

Why shoot raw. I never do. If you capture your image with correct exposure you do not need raw. JPEG work flow is easyer and quicker.

I have never loaded DPP. I use PSE 5. My customers love my work.

Check out the 6 lies of photography . Lie #3 is about raw vs jpeg.

Bottom line, the computer, camera, etc.. are all tools. Shooting basics still apply with digital as with film.

Mark

OMG I thought I was the only JPEG shooter here. I'm not sure why, I don't think I'm missing anything by not shooting RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

OMG I thought I was the only JPEG shooter here. I'm not sure why, I don't think I'm missing anything by not shooting RAW.

There are a lot of jpg shooters out there. Personally, I shoot jpg most of the time, for 'family memories' types of pics that will be printed as 4x6" for a photo album, or uploaded to Facebook, etc. But, when I go 'out shooting' (nature, landscapes, etc.) I often shoot in RAW, in particular for HDR shots.