Thread: Current XTi user considering a T1i

Current XTi user considering a T1i

I am currently using the Canon XTi to shoot sporting events, including swimming, diving, soccer, and tae kwon do. I am considering upgrading to the T1i (it's the only Canon upgrade that is in my price range) and would like opinions on whether it would be worth the upgrade. I currently use theTamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Macro lens, and the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS lens.

The XTi works fine in most circumstances, except whenI run into low daylight issues at dive meets and indoor lightingat tae kwon do events. Would upgrading to the T1i help in these situations? Any input from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Martin

Re: Current XTi user considering a T1i

What focal lengths do you find yourself using the most? I ask because you have two super-zooms which are terribly S-L-O-W!!! The T1i would be a considerable upgrade to your XTi as far as low-light performance goes (among other things) but if I were you I would first consider picking up a couple of fast primes. Most sports shooters live and die by fast primes. Not only are they up to 4 1/3 stops faster than your zoom but they are all sharper, lighter (maybe not all lighter), have less distortion,etc, etc.

I'll suggset a few:

Mark,

Thanks for the response. I guess my main problem is the indoor sports. The two zooms that I use have given me excellent results outdoors, and least being the hobbyist that I am. I mostly looking for improvement in my ability to do indoor sports. I'll have to check out the lenses you recommended at Penn or Ritz before making a buying decision.

I am with Mark on this one. you could get at least a couple of the shorter primes for the price of the body, and then you have good glass which lasts longer than a new body. I shoot my XTi quite happily. my indoor lens isn't super fast, the Sigma 150mm macro f/2.8, but it does the trick for me!

Enjoy whatever purchase you make.

Dan

<div>

Jumping on the bandwagon here - the lenses you have are variable aperture, meaning they let in less light (significantly less!) as you zoom in. I have both the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM and the EF 200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LII USM lenses, and they are excellent in low light. For indoor sports, though, I would not recommend the 200mm lens - it's too long a focal length to handhold without bumping up the ISO beyond where your XTi should be. The EF 135 f/2L USM is a stop wider and shorter, and is an ideal indoor sports lens - but, that lens is significantly more expensive than the T1i. So, my recommendation would be to get theEF 100mm f/2.0 USM Lens- fast aperture, long enough, hand-holdable indoors - it's the ideal budget indoor sports lens ($430 on Amazon).
    </div>

I'd have to agree with the guys that a fast prime will probably give you the most happiness for your dollar. 100 F2 or 135 F2L, depending on your budget.

I'm surprised though that nobody has even mentioned moving up to a X0D body since you this thread started with the idea of upgrading bodies. Lens(es) first, but I'd highly recommend picking up a used 40D or 50D over getting a T1i. It shouldn't cost you much more, if at all, and the focusing and frame rate will be much better suited to sports.

-Yoni