Thread: EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM to complement a Nifty Fifty?

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM to complement a Nifty Fifty?

I was looking at the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM to complement my Nifty Fifty. The ultra-wide angle is very appealing for me. On the review it says that "close-up" photos will have creative distortion (HUGE heads lol) and that for minimum barrel distortion subjects should be shot from a distance. But I don't recall it saying exactly how far the subject needs to be for that? Would I be able to shoot in a relatively confined indoor setting with out having to do some heavy post processing??

Re: EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM to complement a Nifty Fifty?

You'll definitely see some distortion on indoor shots at the wide end of the 10-22 range, in fact, pretty much anything wider than your 18-55mm kit lens will show some distortion of door frames, wall corners, etc., that are away from the center of the frame. It's not too bad, but it's there. I think that the EF-S 10-22mm is something of a niche lens - if you are going to shoot a lot of landscapes, or you're a real estate agent and need to represent an entire room in the shot, this UWA lens is a good choice.

Indoors, you'll run into another problem - the 10-22mm lens is too wide for flash coverage with the built-in pop-up flash. So, if you need to use flash with that lens (and it's not a fast lens, much like your problems with the kit lens in your other thread), you'll also want to consider an external Speedlite flash.

It does seem to come back to the flash a lot for me haha. Maybe that should be my next stop instead for now.

I was on a small step stool practically right on top of Amber when I took this shot:

However, with just a little bit of distance, you can avoid drastic distortions:

(Follow the pic to flickr and then you can click on the setup picture in the caption to see the confined space we were working in.)

Wow! Great photos!! Must be a whole new experience composing photos with this wide of an angle. I think it was one of your photos where you mentioned the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8? How is that lens compared to the Canon 10-22mm? It's about $170 cheaper...