Thread: 40D with 580ex flash

40D with 580ex flash

Hello all... i am new to this forum ... so HELLO... I have a quick question... i am working with a 40d and my question is can i use my 580 ex flash as a slave? I only have that one flash so i would not have a master attached to the body just my pop up.

Re: 40D with 580ex flash

Not without additional hardware, no. The only Canon camera body that has direct wireless flash control is the 7D. You'd need another master flash mounted on the camera (550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, MR14 EX, MT24 EX) or the ST-E2 wireless controller. Or you could use RF controllers (Pocket Wizard, Radio Popper, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Or you could use RF controllers (Pocket Wizard, Radio Popper, etc.).

THank you for your quick response... i was afraid the only solution would be a pocket wizard... guess i am off to B&H Thank you again!!

You have many more options than a Pocketwizard (especially if you don't have to have ETTL functionality). I'd do a little more research, or ask a few more questions, before dropping the money on Pocketwizards.

If you want to use your 580 ex as a slave and are happy to lose ETTL (meaning you'll have to adjust flash output manually) have a look at the Yongnuo RF602 triggers. I bought them a little while ago and they are working perfectly. They are much less expensive than the pocketwizards as well.

Just a thought,

Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

The ST-E2 still works great, and used ones are around...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gardner

The ST-E2 still works great, and used ones are around...

But I don't think he can use the pop-up flash with the ST-E2 mounted on the hot shoe.

The OP may want to look for a simple slave trigger with preflash cancellation/avoidance. That way he can trigger the 580 EXII with the pop-up. The 580 will have to be set in manual mode. I would think 1/32 - 1/8 power for backlight against full power 40D pop-up. I'm suprised that the 580 EXII would even need an opticaltrigger.Dang you mean it doesn't come with the kitchen sink? LOL