Thread: vacation Lens

vacation Lens

Hello,

Going to Spain in a month and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a good lens that would suit my needs. I will be traveling Spain for a 3 weeks and am looking for a lens that I can pretty much leave on the body and be able to just pull it out and snag a few shots here an there. I have a T1i and the lens I have already are 18-55, 55-250 (kit), 50mm 1.4 and a 28-135mm. I am thinking the 28-135 might be the one but I just want a second opinion (which i am sure there will be a few ) I want to keep it simple and not be changing lens all the time. There are a few places that I will be going specifically to take pictures where I can use the assortment but I am looking a for a general purpose lens that i can just take with me wherever I go. I will have a Lowepro backpack so I would like to keep it to two and I think one will be the 17-55. I will be purchasing the 17-55 next week in the US at B&H in Manhattan. I want to avoid the white lens' as I feel they might bring attention that is not wanted other with I would grab the 28-300.

MattG

Re: vacation Lens

I took the 28-135mm all over Vietnam and Cambodia with me a year agoand it was an absolute workhorse - never missed a beat and the pictures are great. If you want to use something out of the kit you already have then I would recommend it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is an excellent lens - it's on my camera most of the time. The f/2.8 makes it suitable for use indoors, and 17mm is substantially wider than 28mm - you'll want that extra angle of view, I think. Spain has some amazing vistas and architecture. Take along your 55-250mm for the longer shots.

Have a great trip!

If you can handle the weight, the 28-300mm is the best travel lens available. Just keep it safe, because a white lens reads, "Hey! I'm expensive! Steal me!".

Are you renting or buying?

Ya that would be the most ideal choice but I agree the attention the white lens brings would be a problem considering the fact we may not always have a hotel to leave our stuff. It would be inthe rental car.

I think I might just stick with the 28-135 on teh bodyand the 17-55 as the back-up for specific shots.

Focallength-wise the 28-300 might be ideal, but to be honest it would be too heavy for me to carry around whole day long. 2+kg inclusive camera..pfff I wouldn't enjoy my holiday as much I think. Unless you're going only to take photographs all day? And enjoy your holiday later behind your pc at home []

I think you should be fine with the 17-55. You might miss a little on the long end. I'm not pretty sure about Spain, but I live in Europe and I know it is a crowded place. Small alleys etc. with nice scenery landscapes outside of towns. If I would go there I would probably give more credit to my wideangle than to a telezoom.

The 28-135 sounds like a perfect compromise to me and if you could take a second lens like the 17-55 you would have covered the wide end as well. And sure sure there will be times you miss the tele-end, but hey you might miss the macro or fisheye as well [:P] You can't have everything on you.

Jan

Oh by the way I don't think you should be to scared to bring a white lens...Spain is not a poor third-world country with a lot of violence. It's very touristic and I doubt it that you get "wrong" attention by bringing a white lens. Just wanted to mention that.

Jan

I wasn't trying to say Spain wasthe problem.[]

It was more taveling as a whole. We will be trying to drive and see as much of the country as possible and leavingitems like that in the car just makes me a bit nervous.

Your are problably 100% correct and nothing would happpen though. The other issue is the size and wieght of the L glass.