Thread: Lens Baby

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lens Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming
    Jan, I do accept the challenge the only thing now is to pony up the cash for the composer. I have thought about the 50mm f/1.8 often. I really like the idea of a small cheap lens, but sometimes I wonder if the IQ will disappoint me when I shoot wide open. I also have a USM right now and it seems like the 50's AF might be a little irritating. Maybe I should just go for it and worry about the IQ later when I really do have money and a good reason to worry about it.

Well I've had one and I never was satisfied with it. Hated the AF, but I know a lot of people who really love this lens. Speaking about IQ, the 50 f1.8 will definitely beat the lensbaby wide open and even totally stopped down. You shouldn't buy a lensbaby for it's amazing imagequality, but for it's capabilities. You can compare both lenses iso charts on Bryans reviews.

About the AF of the 50mm, I think it's pretty ok, but manual focus isn't really usable due the small and cheap construction and the sound it makes and turning it does while auto-focussing might give you the idea it's very slow.

If image-quality is a major concern, the 50 1.8 will win hands down, but for creativity I would personally buy a lensbaby before buying a 50mm 1.8.

Good luck saving and hopefully we'll see some nice pictures from you later on, or perhaps now? [A]

Jan

Re: Lens Baby

I think there is some confusion here (or im reading it wrong)... lensbaby has no AF. MF only.Creativelyspeaking, the lensbaby is excellent. It is easy to get some boring dull shots with it though.