Thread: 580exll vs 430exll

580exll vs 430exll

I'm trying to find which flash will be best for me. Right now I'm not interested in using it as a master so that part isn't important.

I'll mostly be using on camera or off camera shooting through an umbrella. I've heard that for the umbrella I'll need the 580 because the 430 just doesn't have the power. I like the size of the 430 better but if I'm going to need the power of the 580 I'll just deal with the size.

Any thoughts?

Re: 580exll vs 430exll

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]I had the same dilemma and went with the 580, and am glad I did.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] My intent was to be able to take decent photos at family events, and the first gathering turned out to be in a very dark room with high ceilings.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I was glad I had lots of flash power.
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]I will post a photo or two when I get them processed.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Larry

I have the 580EXII and love that flash. It has never let me down on having enough power and I don't find the size of it to be any problem. I've never used the 480, so can't tell you if that would be sufficent. I tend to go with the best I can afford and all the reviews I've read on the 580EXII said it's truly an amazing flash. I don't do anything fancy with mine like tweak the settings, just leave it on TTL and use a Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out his diffuser if you haven't done so. It's not "pocket size" but it really does a nice job of controlling the harsh effects that flashes can produce.

Gary Fong diffusers

Rick

Go for the 580EXII. I originally purchased the 420EX but it didn't have enough power for my needs. I ended up getting a 580EX and the pair of flashes now work great as master and slave.

In your case, if you find you need a second flash, you can get a second 580EXII with more power.

As mentioned in a similar thread several weeks ago, I have four 580EX IIs. Admittedly I do a lot of off-camera work (and to me, four isn't enough!), but I can show a great example of how I needed the power of 580s.

Canon 1D Mark III with 24-105 at 47mm, "subject" was maybe 3' from camera. Main light started as a 580EX II on a stand about 4' above the subject, shooting through Rosco 103 (tough spun, a frosty diffuser) and 359, and an umbrella. At f/8 and ISO 2000, I didn't have enough power! I added a second 580EX II with the same gels, and now had some power to spare. I suspect I'd need two if not three 430s to do the same thing. A third 580 was on camera right with a CTO (orangey) gel to create a setting sun look and shadows.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.