Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens Review

Re: Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens Review

Quote Originally Posted by mitchel

Well I see yet another review (Canon EOS Rebel T2i / 550D Digital SLR Camera Review)has been put before this review.

I guess we will probably never see it.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but Bryan...if you are not going to post the review then stop saying you are.

I'm with Alex on this one - Bryan won't blast you, but do you think he makes his living reviewing products for his website? Also, at the risk of preempting Bryan and his excellent and thorough review process - it's a Sigma lens with a 14x zoom range. If you're waiting to hear that it delivers superb optical and mechanical performance before dropping $530 on the lens, you'll have a long wait (long after Bryan does finish the review, I mean...). It's a superzoom - it's going to have distortion issues through the range and it will be soft. It's got a variable aperture and is really slow at the long end, so low-light performance will be poor. It's a Sigma lens, so it will likely have focus issues and you may get a bad copy (or more than one) of the lens. If you're even considering that lens, you know you're looking at compromise.

Speaking just for myself, I'd much rather see the review of the T2i, the forthcoming review EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, and then a review of the Mark II Pec Pad, before the review of a 3rd party super zoom. But that's me. [:P]

<<Deleted>>

Hey Mitchel,

I have to keep the Canon reviews top priority - if for no other reason than to stop my inbox from filling up with questions about the new gear - and consuming all of my time. I know I promised the Sigma review next - and should have added the Canon disclaimer - my fault.

I am working with comparison testing 5 superzooms, so it indeed takes time. And I'm on my third copy of the Tamron 18-270 - trying to find one that focuses reasonably accurately.

Do you have anyspecific questions about the Sigma I cananswer in the mean time?

Regards,

Bryan

Hi Bryan:

Thank you for the quick response.

I very much enjoy reading your reviews and I use them to decide on what I want to buy over other reviews from various other sites.

I am in the market for a new all-in-one solution to replace my Canon 17-85mm lens now that my little girl has turned 2 and is running around a lot and wanted something I could use to get some candid shots from greater distances.

I have read some reviews on the Sigma and just wanted to read your opinion on it. So no specific questions...just your overall impression.

"Canon disclaimer"...that was funny. []

Thanks,

Mitch

Hey Mitch, one suggestion - do you have a local 'brick-and-mortar' camera shop that might have one in stock? There's one at the shop a few blocks from where I work. If so, bring your camera in and try it out for yourself...

neuroanatomist...thank you for the suggestion but amazingly enough here in the Denver area I have yet to find a store that carries it and wanted to avoid having to buy it and possibly pay to ship it back.

Thanks!

Mitch

Bryan,

Thanks for offering to answer my specific questions and the very detailed response you emailed me. []

Mitch

Sorry Mitch- I was asking for specific questions - I thought you were indicating that you wanted to wait until I completed the full review (which I'm working on at this moment).

Re the Sigma 18-250: Small size and build quality are great. AF is fast and quiet (I'll hold my accuracy rating at this point). Focal length range is awesome. Image quality was sacrificed - as you can see in the ISO 12233 chart results.

Out of the superzoomlenses I'm looking at right now, I would go with the Canon EF-S 18-200 at this moment.

Mitch,

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens Review

Let me know if I missed anything important to you. Apologies for the long delay.

[quote=Bryan Carnathan][url="http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/Reviews/Sigma-18-250mm-f-3.5-6.3-DC-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx]Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens Review[/url]

[url="http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/p/Reviews/Sigma-18-250mm-f-3.5-6.3-DC-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx][/url]Let me know if I missed anything [/quote]

...since you asked, you did miss the proper link, which is here:[url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-250mm-f-3.5-6.3-DC-OS-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx]Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens Review[/url]

But, the review is as detailed and comprehensive as we've all come to rely on from a TDP review. Thanks, Bryan! If I was in the market for a superzoom, I believe I'd stick with your recommendation of the Canon EF-S 18-200mm. But at this point, I'll deal with a lens change and stick with my current EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 and EF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]L IS II to cover the range.