Thread: which camera body do i buy?

which camera body do i buy?

hello all, i'm currently trying to decide which camera to buy. i've had some experience with a rebel xs and really enjoyed the camera but it left me wanting something that could take better night shots.... higher ISO maybe?? i've done some research and have pretty much settled on the new T2i but with all the info out there i've started to wonder if that's really the camera i need.

basically, i want a camera that will give me high quality landscape, sunset, wildlife shots and low light stuff. i'm not really a big action shot person... more into still life i guess you'd say? now, with all the reading i'm doing i'm starting to think that maybe something like the XS or XSi would be good enough for what i want and where i should really be investing is a better lens. is this the case? if photography is nothing more than a hobby really, is a cheaper body and a lens what i want, or is the extra money for something like a T2i worth it?

Re: which camera body do i buy?

Welcome to the forums. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here that can provide some great info. Generally, the better the camera, the better it's high iso capabilities will be. To avoid needing any or much increase in iso in low light, you need a fast (large aperture) lens. Like the camera, generally, the faster the lens, the more it costs. From what you are saying, I doubt you are wanting to spend $2500+ on a body and/or $1500+ on a lens. There are several options of fast lenses that aren't ridiculously expensive.

That being said, you can probably find some nice middle ground depending on your budget. I would start by reading the camera and lens reviews on this forum. You will find tons of explanation and demonstration photos so you will know what you are getting. I don't know much about specifics for each camera, including the t2i. But read the reviews on this forum and that may help you find the right body and lens combo.

Quote Originally Posted by mtr9in
    i'm not really a big action shot person... more into still life i guess you'd say?

You don't need another camera, you need a tripod!

Hey, I'm also new to the forum, but have been reading for a while and I thought I would reply to your questionsince I have a Rebel t1i and recently bought the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. I've been amazed by the huge difference from the 18-55mm kit lensin low-light performance and image quality. The lens upgrade does farmore than increasing the ISO ever could since higher ISO will cause an increase in noise in your photos, regardless of whether you're using an XS or t2ibody. Though the 17-55mm will cost you around $1000 plus, Ihighly recommend it and feel that it was a worthwhile investment for me to get the faster lens.

However, that said, a faster lens like that may not be the answer for you, depending on what you're trying to do. Iam often shooting indoor,low light, and action shots so this lens works great for me when I want to be able to freeze motion. For stills such asnight shots, sunsets and landscapes you would probably want to look into a good tripod. Even with a faster lensyou will need longer shutter speeds once the light gets below a certain level and handholding is not an option. Though I still recommend the 17-55mm or another good lens, I think a tripod would be best for the type of shooting you're doing. Also, an external flash might be agood choicefor closer subjets at night.

I guess my point is that a better camera body probably won't help outthat much.Unless of course you're willing to spendloads of cashon a high end camera... I think you will find that a tripod and perhaps a better lens will give you the biggest improvement in your photos. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum from a fellow first-timer!

JC

thanks for suggestions and feedback. i guess i should've mentioned that i do use a tripod. i assumed that was a given with low light shots.

from what i'm reading and you guys are saying, it sounds like i should go with the XSi over the T2i and put the $250 saved toward another lens.unless an expert out there can tell me the T2i is worth the extra money. like i've stated, i'm fairly new to this and not really sure about some of the camera specs, but it seems like the only clear advantage to the T2i is the movie mode.

anymore thoughts?

mtr9in, how longhave you had the Rebel XS?

i don't own the camera, a friend does. i've just had the opportunity to use it.

Sorry about that, I guess I assumed that you were starting from scratch as far as equipment. My apologies.

I would suggest reading lots of the lens reviews that Bryan has on this site. He does an excellent job! I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading until I settled on the 17-55mm lens, and I'm glad I did. My previous lens purchase had been too hasty and was based off of one person's suggestion, which I quickly regretted. So spending time researching and thinking about what your needs and wants arefor lenses and other equipmentis for sure worth it!

JC

I'd get the XSi and learn how to use it well! Save the rest of the money toward your next lens purchase.