Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D MkII or wait for the MKIII?

5D MkII or wait for the MKIII?

I'm graduating from college in 41 days (not that I'm counting )and I'm looking to upgrade my Rebel Xt as a graduation present. I will have between $2500-$2800 to spend. Should I get the MkII and get started with modeling photography right now, or should I suck it up and wait another 9 months-ish and hope that the MkIII has been announced?

Re: 5D MkII or wait for the MKIII?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can't enjoy something you don't have. There will always be a better camera on the horizon. Buy now, enjoy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can't enjoy something you don't have. There will always be a better camera on the horizon. Buy now, enjoy now.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hey Hey - Well said Sean.

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

That's very true. I think the 2 things that I really would like out of a newer 5D would be the 19pt autofocus and also the better noise reduction. That beng said though, I know of some pros who still use the 5D MkI, so sometimes it isn't the gear as much as it is the photographer.

I have the 5D MII and the 1D MIV but still use the 5D MII the majority of the time for it's image quality. As long as you have good glass, you can't go wrong.

The ultimate purpose of a camera is to make photographs, no camera = no photographs, imagine all the moment you would miss if you didn't have a camera now! Get the 5D Mark II and start shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    Awww...come on you don't think holding out for five years for the 63mp 5D MV would be worth it? []
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Right now, a canon 5D can be had for about $2250 by using microsoft cashback on ebay and buying from a good seller like Adorama or Beach camera.

If and when a MK III comes out, there is no way to know what the initial cost will be, or even how long you will have to wait to actually get one. It will cost more, count on that.

I ordered my 5d MK II the day it was announced, but did not get it until early December. Many people delayed and then waited much longer than I did.

Get neither and buy the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM lens.

Okay, 5D2.

Go the 5D MkII - I pulled the trigger on it (with BG-E6 batterygrip)and the 24-70mm f/2.8L last night. I'll be on bread and water for the next month but I don't care. [&lt;)]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30