Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDR: Techniques, Tips, Tricks, and the photos.... all HERE!

Re: HDR: Techniques, Tips, Tricks, and the photos.... all HERE!

Hmm... downloaded FDRtools and feel it's WAY too complicated... I don't get how to do anything with it...

Maybe I'm just dumb..

I use Photomatix(from LR2.6), and get the best results that way. Currently trying to perfect my technique. Unfortunately, i don't have the time all the time to take the time to use tripod, timer, so on..so on...I have been taking my Mark IV with 16-35II with me(absolutely FANTASTIC combo, by the way), do do a few HDR's on my route(UPS driver full time). I've used my 5D2 with 24-105 in the past with great results...taking 3 shots. But, let me tell you...using a 1 body with better parameters yields WAY better results. Being able to take 5 shots in rapid succesion with 2 second timer, hand held, has produced some great results. Fooling around with Photomatix can produce some wild pics....learning to tone it down can give some very real world results. Here are a few...tell me what you think....Gregg

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.00/Rocks-in-the-Sand-_5B00_1024x768_5D00_.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.00/Sun-Over-the-Water_2D00_7-_5B00_1024x768_5D00_.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.00/Sunset-HDR-_5B00_1024x768_5D00_.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.00/Seacliff-HDR2_2D00_10-_5B00_1024x768_5D00_.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.00/SchoolYard_2D00_7-_5B00_1024x768_5D00_.jpg[/img]

Oh yeah...there is a video out there by Matt Koslowski called Real World HDR. Worth every cent...

G'day all

thanks for the images BTAYLOR but i must ask as i have tried a few hdr's and they look nothing like yours i think i may be doing something wrong......could you please post your 5-7 images so that i can see if i am taking the base shots right to start with????? as i am thinking this is where i am going wrong but i have not been able to figure it out yet?????? thanks

Gregg,

Your saying that on a 1 Series body it will bracket 2 shots on either side of 0?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty74

G'day all

thanks for the images BTAYLOR but i must ask as i have tried a few hdr's and they look nothing like yours i think i may be doing something wrong......could you please post your 5-7 images so that i can see if i am taking the base shots right to start with????? as i am thinking this is where i am going wrong but i have not been able to figure it out yet?????? thanks

Hey Scotty, I don't have the original images on mebut the basic idea I use is to look at the scene and figure out how you want each area exposed. So for a sunset shot you want the nice deep saturated yellows of the sun while maintaining foreground exposure and getting nice colours in the sky etc.

I don't really bracket my shots when I'm using a tripod, I just adjust the shutter speed to get the exposures I want. Some might be 7 stops underexposed if Ihave a particularly bright area in the shot, others might be 7 stops overexposed if there's particularly dark areas.

It's all trial and error and experimentation. I'll see if I can drag up the original files and post them up.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Its a custom function you have to enable with the camera hooked up to a computer. C.FN 09 on the Id II and 1D 2N. You can adjust the bracket number of exp. (2, 5, 7 frames).