Thread: IS version

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: IS version

Neuroanatomist have you got your 100-400? was I right regarding the IS system? the 300f4 IS L has the same one so it's not a very good one but it is there.the best thing is never to try the IS in the 70-300mm IS and you will not be dissapointed.otherwise.....

I rented the 100-400 last week and I was amazed by the IS. I've even made a sharp picture handheld at 1/6th, but my keeperrate was 1 out of 100 I guess[:P] 1/30th of a second did very well for me. At 400mm of course, forgot to mention that. But those are all subjective to a lot of things. When I had the 1/6th shot is my subject was like 6,5-7m away and the short distance makes the IS function a lot better! Since the weather was amazingly foggy I didn't really made far away shots (I did, but they where rubbish in the nicest way), so I can't tell how good the IS was on further focus distances.

Anyway I was very pleased with the IS in the 100-400. Theoretically 2-stops perhaps, but I had a lot more. I'm also curious how this "2-stops" definition is made. Is there a particular standard? Focus distance (or subject-distance) plays a big role in my believe, so there should be some sort of test to determine the IS functionality. Or is it just a lot of shooting and taking averages?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian mandea

Neuroanatomist have you got your 100-400? was I right regarding the IS system? the 300f4 IS L has the same one so it's not a very good one but it is there.

Yes, I received my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]L IS USM lens earlier this week. I haven't had a chance to get outdoors with it yet (has been raining all week), but I have tested it indoors.

To answer your question, no, I don't think you were right - the IS on the 100-400mm performs exactly as I would expect. At 400mm, the 1.6x crop makes the angle of view equivalent to 640mm. The 1/focal length guideline suggests I should be able to handhold that at 1/640 s - and keep in mind, that's a guideline, what it really means is that at a shutter speed of 1/focal length, an 'average' person (whatever that means) should get about a 50% keeper rate. With IS off, that's just about right - slower than 1/640 and I start to get many shake-blurred shots. IS for this lens is rated at 2 stops. So, that means zoomed to 400mm I should get a 50% keeper rate at 1/160 s shutter speed. In fact, I get a decent hit rate even at 1/100 or 1/80 s (still over 50%).

the best thing is never to try the IS in the 70-300mm IS and you will not be dissapointed.otherwise...

I'd be disappointed in the IQ of the 70-300mm lens,in the rotating front element and the lack of full time manual focusing. Those are the reasons I didn't buy that lens. But I'm still not sure why you feel disappointed in the IS on the 100-400mm. The 70-300mm at its longest focal length, with it's 3-stop IS, should allow you to handhold (at that 50% keeper rate) down to about 1/60 s - that's one-and-a-third stops faster than the 1/160 for the 100-400 at it's full extension. I suspect it comes down to expectations. My EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM has 4-stop hybrid IS - I can get sharp handheld shots at 1/8 s. I've gotten sharp images handheld with my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM (3-stop IS) at 1/2 s shutter speed, due to the combination of short focal length and IS - that's a speed you'd normally need a tripod to achieve. I certainly don't expect that from the 100-400mm lens - it performs as it should in my hands.

enjoy it,and let us see some images when the weather will be better

adrian

enjoy it,and let us see some images when the weather will be better

Nearly 70 &deg;F outside now! []

Here's a 100% crop ofa shot from this morning:

EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/160 s, f/5.6, ISO 200

Seems pretty sharp to me, even with pixel peeping. [] At 400mm (640mm FF angle of view), this shot at 1/160 s should be pretty blurry due to camera shake. Admittedly, I had a cooperative and relatively still bird or else 1/160 s would likely not have been enough to freeze the subject motion. But it seems the IS is doing a pretty good job!

The other thing to keep in mind is that IS takes a while to stabilize the image (at least half a second, sometimes up to a full second). So, if you just press the shutter button halfway (or the AF-ON button in my case), wait for focus confirmation, then shoot, you won't be getting a stabilized image because AF occurs much faster than the time it takes the IS to fully kick in.

I've noticed the IS delay ,it is slow to activate.Today I was doing some shots in the house with the tamron extender attached and I've noticed that sometimes when I prees the shutter button to take the picture the image jumps (right in that moment)and ruins the picture,but I think this is due to the extender not the lens.

again, enjoy your tele and keep shoting

adrian