Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IS version

Re: IS version

I received my new 100-400mmL ISlens today, the 2 stop IS is a big step down from my 70-200mm F/4 L. I can stack TC's on it and get totally stabilized images that are sharper than my 100-400mm IS at 400mm. My 100mmL is yet another step up in IS efficency.

I have been hampered by rain and snow as well, so I only had a hour or two before bad weather hit us.

The lens is really nice, and the IS does work, but I got a few blurry images at relatively fast shutter speeds that never would have happened with my newer technology lenses.

I'll be testing some more, but, if I can just put a 2x TC on my 100-200mm F/4 L IS and get sharper images, the 100-400mm goes back.

I picked up a very nice 600mm f/4 L non is yesterday locally, so I am anxious to try it as well. The first few shots came out well with no TC, but with TC's, I struggled to get sharp images. I haven't yet used a remote shutter release or mirror lockup, I'm waiting for good enough weather to spend some time learninng both.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian mandea
    enjoy it,and let us see some images when the weather will be better

Nearly 70 °F outside now! []

Here's a 100% crop ofa shot from this morning:

EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/160 s, f/5.6, ISO 200

Seems pretty sharp to me, even with pixel peeping. [] At 400mm (640mm FF angle of view), this shot at 1/160 s should be pretty blurry due to camera shake. Admittedly, I had a cooperative and relatively still bird or else 1/160 s would likely not have been enough to freeze the subject motion. But it seems the IS is doing a pretty good job!

The other thing to keep in mind is that IS takes a while to stabilize the image (at least half a second, sometimes up to a full second). So, if you just press the shutter button halfway (or the AF-ON button in my case), wait for focus confirmation, then shoot, you won't be getting a stabilized image because AF occurs much faster than the time it takes the IS to fully kick in.

I've noticed the IS delay ,it is slow to activate.Today I was doing some shots in the house with the tamron extender attached and I've noticed that sometimes when I prees the shutter button to take the picture the image jumps (right in that moment)and ruins the picture,but I think this is due to the extender not the lens.

again, enjoy your tele and keep shoting

adrian

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa
    I'll be testing some more, but, if I can just put a 2x TC on my 100-200mm F/4 L IS and get sharper images, the 100-400mm goes back.

If you put a 2x TC on a 70-200mm f/4L IS, you'll have a 140-400mm f/8 lens:

1) It's a stop slower than the 100-400mm - there goes the advantage of the 70-200mm's 3-stop IS vs. the 100-400mm's 2-stop IS.

2) At f/8 it will only autofocus on a 1-series body. (If you're using a 3rd party TC, it will still AF, but AF performance will be negatively impacted.)

My new 100mm-400mm L arrived two days ago.My first impressions were that theIS on it is no where near as good as the 70-200mm f/4 ISwith 2X TC.

I'm still waiting for better weather to do a side by side comparison. The 100-400mm lens is excellent, with better than expected contrast, and the IS is very usable, just a step down.

It could be that my 70-200mm F/4 is a exceptional sample, it continues to amaze me. I also just got a 600mm F/4 a couple of days ago, so I'm anxious to get better weather. I took it outside, and set it all up with the Wimberly, etc, and immediately it began to blow and snow. My first impressions of it is that using a TC is extremely difficult, even with a very fast 1/2000 shutter speed and much care to minimize shake. However, I will need time to learn its limitations.

I spotted several eagles, hawks, a vulture, a coyote, and lots of ravensall feasting on a deer carcass yesterday. I used my 100-400 from the car window, but it was just too far away to get anything good. The100% crop was not very sharp, nowhere near what my 70-200mm is with a 2x.

I went back 1.5 hours later, with the 600mm and 2 TC's and tried combinations of 2X and stacked, only with 1.4 + 2 XTC's stacked was I able to get a reasonable size image, but they were not sharp at all. Too slow of a shutter speed, too much fog or mist in the air. Unfortunately,I could not get closer. So i'm still waiting for good weather.