Page 40 of 558 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140540 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

rzFoto, this is a nice shot! I like the sharpness, colorful water, catch light on the eye. pose and composition are good too.

here is mine

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_0002.JPG[/img]

rzFoto

JJphoto, I am sure my bird would be very scared when she sees you bird! I like the background - simple but with some texture.

Hi folks,

i returned to my secret Wild Turkey stash late last week. This time i controlled the ISO more carefully and got a larger number of 'keepers'. In addition, i was able to capture some interesting interactions, including a sparring match between three large toms. Here is one of the sparring sequence:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.40.72/Sparring-3-_2D00_-Small.jpg[/img]

If you are interested you can take a look at the whole set on flickr:

<a target="_blank" title="Turkey Set on flickr" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/32134393@N03/sets/72157623815844158/"][View:http://www.flickr.com/photos/3213439...623815844158/]
    [/URL]

You must be out west someplace. Those look like <span class="mw-headline" id="Merriam.27s_Wild_Turkey_.28M._g._merriami.29"]Merriam's Wild Turkey because of the light colored band at the end of their tail feathers.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

good call; these are in the hills above Boulder, CO..i tried to add a link to the flickr set which has some pretty good shots but for some reason the link didn't come through in the edit...you can search on wuhsinman in flickr and find the Colorado Wild Turkeys set

Hi guys, been always for a while, glad to be back. Got two images to share with ya'll.

Avocet in love

7D + 500 f/4L IS, f/4, 1/2500, IS 100, manual exposure, handheld

Hummingbird

7D + 500 f/4L IS, f/4, 1/1250, IS 250, nanual exposure, handheld

Thanks for viewing! Comments, Critique and questions are always welcome.

Nate

Awesome. Especially the first. Composition and color are both wonderful.

I'd say "what a lens the 500 f/4 is" except that I know it has more to do with you than the lens Still, I love the creamy blue background, which I don't think would have been quite so pronounced with the 400 f/5.6

Did you use extension tubes for the hummingbird picture? Or is it cropped? Or does the 500 focus that close?

Nice images Nate, well done. Here is a Red Tailed Hawk in flight. I'm not thrilled with the angle because the eye is dark and I couldn't bring any detail out in the head or the eye but it's the only shot I had so...

40D 300mm 2.8L+1.4TC 1/1600 iso250 f/4.5

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/_5F00_MG_5F00_7568.jpg[/img]

Thank you John and Joel,

Joel, I like the wing pose of the bird, shooting bird-in-fly at eye level really brings a different perspective, I do agree that it would be better if the bird is coming at you and more detail and light on the head.

John, I believe the hummingbird shot was taken at MDF, image was cropped 50%, orginal size would be around 8-9mpx. No extension tube was used.

7D update, I no longer have problem with images being flat straight out of the 7D. When I first got my 7D, and was afraid of the noise the 18mpx sensor brought, I tried to expose to the right, and I did it too much [] resulting in overexposed images. Theavocet shot has no exposure adjustment,I wish I had more black feather detail though. The hummingbird shotIhad to darkened the image about0.17stop in DPP and cloned in somedetailover the overexposed white feather on the chest[].

Someone mentioned in earlier post that when I get the 7D, my 40D would spend more time in the bag, he was right.! The more I use it the moreI like it. 40D has been decommissioned from active bird shooting andis now paired with the 16-35 f/2.8L for quick family snaps.[]

I'm currently reading Authur Morris' 7D Users Guide, I have found some very useful tips but not yet finished with the entire guide. I will let you guys/gals know if it's worth spending $28.

A bit late, but here are few photos which I took while I was renting the 100-400 for a day. I can image why all you guys love this amount of reach now [:P] Especially when I think of putting this Big ass Cannon on a cropsized-body. [:O]

5D2 with 100-400L @ 400mm f5.6 iso-200 1/2000

5D2 with 100-400L @ 400mm f5.6 iso-200 1/1600

-This guy was washing himself in sand and mud and shaking it off just in front of me []

5D2 with 100-400L @ 400mm f5.6 iso-400 1/500

After renting it I was glad I didn't buy it though...Man it is big and you get a lot of unwanted attention. At least I got a bit shy carrying it around [A] I'm pretty sure I'll rent it again when I'm off to an air-show this summer! I do want to find out how it handles on a less cloudy and foggy day though.

Jan