Thread: 1ds markII (used) versus 5d markII

1ds markII (used) versus 5d markII

I'm having difficulty to choose between 1ds markII (used) to a new 5d markII. I'll use the

camera for weddings,portrait (in studio). Right now I have the 1d MarkIII (excellent camera) but right now I want to a full frame. Any suggestion? Thanks

Re: 1ds markII (used) versus 5d markII

If you already have the 1D3 you don't need the ruggedness of the 1Ds II and so I suggest the 5D2. Its IQ is far superior and has better low ISO performance and HD video.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

If you already have the 1D3 you don't need the ruggedness of the 1Ds II and so I suggest the 5D2. Its IQ is far superior and has better low ISO performance and HD video.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Let me preface this by saying I don't own a full-frame camera...but I'd agree with bburns223's logic.

Thanks...I will go and try the 5d this weekend.

well, I thought the 1dsII has superior image quality...but I don't know the low light situation versus the 5dII. Reading reviews sometimes confuse you

You've got to remember that when the 1Ds II review was written the 5D II was for off on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Review

The big story in this comparison is that I paid $8,000 for my first 1Ds III - you can buy nearly 3 Canon EOS 5D Mark IIs for the same price - and each will deliver image quality that is similar."

Then read the 1DsIII review to see how much of an improvement it was over the 1Ds II and you'll have a better Idea of the IQ comparison.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Teoka
    Reading reviews sometimes confuse you

Agreed. Reviewers often lack the ability to make objective comparisons. According to DXOMark (who I believe evaluate sensors objectively and quantitatively), the 5DII has more dynamic range, a little more color depth, and significantly better low iso performance than the 1DsII. And you don't need DXOMark to tell you the 5DII has higher resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Teoka
    well, I thought the 1dsII has superior image quality

The 1DsII is more responsive, has more features, and its autofocus will do a better job on moving objects. But it does not have better image quality.

thanks, so the 5dII is the right choice

I would like to own the 1dsIII. Enjoy and thanks for the advise