Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7d or 1d mark ii

Re: 7d or 1d mark ii

if i got the 7d i would most likely pair it with the 300mm and have the 70-200 on the mark ii. it would save me having to get a 1.4 extender for when i need extra lengh.

i think im starting to sway more to the 7d and i have just had a go with 1 and liked it and the results were brillbut i want to be 100% be4 i splash out that much cash

I have a 1DS3 and a 7D. I always considered an APS-H a compromise, not the best full frame, not the best crop factor. For sports the 7D is excellent. Its focusing system is very accurate, colours and tones are great and all in all an excellent camera. Its downsides i feel are that when you have a pro series camera it feels cheap, small and plastic compared to the 1D. I know its not, its very well built it just feels less well built. Ive checked out its weather sealing and its as good as the L lenses the guy who works for Canon told me. The crop factor really is a massive bonus when you want reach. Its so much better than cropping my full frame. I feel its downside is its high ISO performance especially when the light isnt so good. I dont use high ISO much i.e above 800 but you do get noise, more so than my friends Nikon. That said my pics have better resolution. Noise is just a fact of life in packing in hugh numbers of pixels in a small area. My 1D is therefore used for everything other than sports/birds. The IDS autofocus is also excellent and i feel has better high ISO performance from the shots ive done. The 7D works excellently with my 70-200 f2.8Land 500f4 so all in all its an excellent sports/wildlife camera. Im very happy with it (but i still love my 1DS3 better).

Mick

I returned my new 7D and bought a nice used 1D MK III for about the same money. I like it better. However, if you are a bird photographer, or need to crop your images a lot, then the 7D will have more leeway for cropping.

I would get a 1D III for a couple hundred more. Here is a link to keh with a used 1D III for $1,950 http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DC029991062210?r=FE

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

I would get a 1D III for a couple hundred more.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I wouldn't; 7D is the way I'd go. Had 1D3/40D/400D (for two shooters). Wanted 1D4 as "this year's camera purchase", but couldn't justify the price. Wanted a fourth camera (two cameras for two shooters), added a 7D as "this year's camera". Loved it. Added another 7D, will sell 400D this week. Trying to find a way to justify a third 7D and sell the 40D. A shelf of 1D3/7D/7D/7D would nice...

The 7D wins on AF, metering, appearance of images, and value (by a mile). I'd have a pelican case full of 1Ds4 bodies (and all of the glass to make up for the loss of APS-C) if I had a pot of gold. Instead, the 7D is my go-forward camera for at least a year. (The 1D4 might get a chance to live in my gear bag once I accept that the metering won't be as accurate as the 7D and the AF modes won't be available.)
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    The 7D wins on AF

Interesting. Are you saying the 7D has a better af than the 1DIII? Do you mean it is better at tracking, faster, more accurate, or all of these?

(I have a distinct memory of posting this already, but I don't see my response. Either I forgot to click "post" or this is a duplicate or I'm losing my marbles... sorry if it is a duplicate)

To be honest, ive never had a single problem with focus on my 1DS3, it nails the focus everytime. The problem is it just doesnt have any reach and this is what you need for sports birds as things happen so fast. Setting up the 7D i dont need the 1x4 extender and when sorting out the sub functions to focus on what i want and have the camers focus the way i want the 7D nails every pic almost every time. Remember though its shooting fast moving targets, the 1D isnt but when i did use the 1dS for fast stuff, it nailed it every time. The 7d seems to focus like my friends Nikon which considering the way his focusing system works way better than my older Canons isnt a bad thing.

So, the 7D's focusing system when you set it up the way you want is excellent. So is the 1DS3. But........the 1DS3 is built like a tank, the 7D feels like a toy all be it a well built toy.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Interesting. Are you saying the 7D has a better af than the 1DIII? Do you mean it is better at tracking, faster, more accurate, or all of these?

I'm saying the 7D AF is preferable to the 1D3. It seems to track what I want, every time, on the money. A lot of it is the choice of modes - 1D3 gives four choices that feel rather arbitrary: one point, one point plus left/right, one point plus six surrounding, center point initial then all points tracking; the 7D offers single point, spot, single point plus above/below/left/right, zone, center point initial then all points tracking. The 7D can offer a different mode/point for horizontal vs. vertical - there are some minor flaws, but I find this amazingly beneficial. I usually operate in single point plus above/below/left/right for both horizontal and vertical (though independently).

Plus, although it's not directly an AF function, all 19 points are being sensed all of the time, and contribute to the metering: metering (possibly just evaluative) ignores/discounts areas of the scene that aren't in the same focus plane. Shots just seem to be exposed how I want/expect them more often on the 7D.

Also, as far as I know (see http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/c...ark-iv-review/), the 1D4 only offers Spot AF on supertelephoto lenses that have AF stop buttons. Why it's available on the 7D on all lenses, but only on specific lenses on the 1D4, makes little to no sense to me.

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Micktheexbiker

....the 1DS3 is built like a tank, the 7D feels like a toy all be it a well built toy.

All I can say is don't pick up a 40D. Then you'll say that the 1-series is a tank, 7D is well-built, and other cameras are a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    I'm saying the 7D AF is preferable to the 1D3.

Thanks. I'm paying close attention to this thread because I'm toying with the idea of picking up a 7D to replace my 1DIIN for use in action situations.

I probably won't do it... I use the 5DII 95% of the time. But it's tempting.