Thread: looking for a second lens...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: looking for a second lens...

You already have an f/4 zoom lens - so, you should have a pretty good idea if you need f/2.8 based on your experience with that lens.

actually when i'm using the lens indoors (24-105) i find it a bit slow but its ok with me..bump up the iso or use the 430EXII but having a f2.8 lens would be much better i suppose. another thing is i'm confused whether just get a 24-70 to replace the 24-105 or get one of the 70-200, either the f4 IS or the f2.8 IS mark II.

I was at a wedding and the guy was using a 70-200mm f/2.8 I, that thing was a picture taking machine! It's versatility is unmached in aportriat situation.He only took it off once to use a 16-35mm.For group shotshe just standed back at the70mm end and gotsome nice bokeh inthe shot.If you can afford it, getthe II. You won't be disopointed.

He was using the 5D II. I said "Enjoying your 5d II?" and he responded"Oh Yeah!".

P.S. He had another photog use the 24-70mm, he he....[]

John.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    I'm just curious about when will the price of the Canon 70-200 2.8II drop while the nikon's 70-200 2.8II is selling for about $300-$400 less.

True - but the Canon lens is better. [:P]

Don't expect the price to drop too much, or too fast. The EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS was released in November, 2009 at list price of $1050, and it's dropped about $100 since then. Most L lenses 'end up' at somewhere around $100-150 less than list price, though the superteles are discounted a bit more.

thinking about other Canon prime lenses,200mm 2.8L II, $700-$800,200mm 2.0L, $4500-5000,300mm 2.8 $4000-4500,135mm 2.0L $1000 -it's just about the balance of speed, IQ, versatility, IS,and price

Sure - it's always about the balance of speed,IQ, versatility, IS, and price. Always.

If I spend $2500 to buy this 70-200mm2.8L II, It will bother me every time I use it even though it gives you a lot of versatility and IS function. and then it's just my opinion.

If it will bother you, don't get it. Yes, it's expensive. But it can produce great images - it really is a first-class lens. You mentioned the200mm 2.8L II prime - the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II zoom @ 200mm is actually sharper than the prime (Bryan's ISO 12233 crops show that, and my real-world testing - I have both lenses - bears that out).

Quote Originally Posted by cxr
    another thing is i'm confused whether just get a 24-70 to replace the 24-105 or get one of the 70-200, either the f4 IS or the f2.8 IS mark II.

First thing to do is determine the focal length(s) you require. Second thing to do is determine the aperture you need at that/those lengths. Third thing is to determine your budget, and there's a lens within that budget that meets the first two criteria, great. If not, I'd recommend to keep saving...

If you find the 24-105mm adequate and don't mind that it's 'a bit slow indoors' then I'd say you're set for that range. I can tell you that personally, I wouldn't find f/4 adequate indoors (thus, I use the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS indoors for the most part, if not the faster EF 85mm f/1.8). But, with a bounced flash, f/4 is just fine. But then again, I'm strongly considering the 24-105mm as an outdoor walkaround lens, for the longer focal length and weather sealing compared to the 17-55mm.

If you need longer than 105mm, then you're looking at a 70-200mm lens or a longer, fast prime. Personally, I prefer the flexibility of zooms, but supplement those with fast primes in the same range for specific purposes.

So, if you've decided that you do need 70-200mm, then use your shooting experience with the 24-105mm to determine if f/4 will be suitable. Will you be using the 70-200 zoom indoors (for tight portraits, or in event venues)? That would have me leaning towards the f/2.8 version. Likewise, if you want to combine it with a teleconverter/extender, the f/2.8 is a better choice. But, if you'll be ok with f/4 (shooting outdoors in daylight, mostly), then get the f/4 IS lens. Keep in mind that the 70-200mm f/4L IS + an excellent prime like the 135mm f/2L would still cost less than the f/2.8 IS II.

The f/2.8 vs. f/4 zoom debate is really about compromise - cost vs. aperture.

thank you very much for all the suggestions, i really appreciate it & will help with to decide on which secondlens to get. the 24-105 f4 IS is adequate for me as a general purpose lens as i use a full frame body, so the focal length is just perfect for me. i know that f4 is really not that fast but for me, i don't mind using a flash if shooting indoors so i suppose f4 is fine with me. in regards with the 70-200, i really want to have a lens in this focal length & i've decided that it would be the f4 IS or the f2.8 IS mark II. i think the f4 IS is great lens as well as the f2.8 IS mk II but at the moment budget wise i need to save more for the f2.8 IS mk II if i'll be going for it.