Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much is the fair price for a canon 600mm 4.0 non IS?

Re: how much is the fair price for a canon 600mm 4.0 non IS?

Scalesusa, thanks for your information, and I think those are very helpful. when I use my 300mm 2.8 to shoot birds, the shutter speeds were almost always faster then 1/1000, in fact, most of the times they were faster then 1/2500, so I guess I can just save $2000 for not getting that IS function.

Brendan, thank you for your reply. I think we both love bird photography, I especially like to shoot BIF. the 300mm is really a nice lens but a little short(though perfect for larger birds in flight like pelican) and a little heavier for handholding(at least to me), so I'v been thinking getting a 600mm, $3000-4000 is a lot of money, and I have never bought a used lens, so I'm still thinking about it. BTW,I'v noticed that your bird shots were getting better and better I'm waiting to see your more bird shots.

Re: how much is the fair price for a canon 600mm 4.0 non IS?

Thanks JJ! I won't be posting any new ones for some time (too busy) but I have had some time to shoot a lot of robins in the backyard. This one's not my favorite but I like it

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_7328.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    Brendan, thank you for your reply. I think we both love bird photography, I especially like to shoot BIF. the 300mm is really a nice lens but a little short(though perfect for larger birds in flight like pelican) and a little heavier for handholding(at least to me), so I'v been thinking getting a 600mm, $3000-4000 is a lot of money, and I have never bought a used lens, so I'm still thinking about it. BTW,I'v noticed that your bird shots were getting better and better I'm waiting to see your more bird shots

In my opinion the 300 f/2.8 is second only to the 500 f/4 as the best bird lens. In my opinion the 600mm and 800mm lenses are too much. Although birds far away will be within your reach, for everyday (non-pro) use those lenses can be a pain in terms of size and focal length - a MFD of over 10' is very limiting IMO when backing up isn't an option. In a perfect world I'd have a 500 f/4 and a 300 f/2.8 - one short lens, one long lens. But if I could pick one bird lens for myself it'd be the 300 f/2.8. I like the 300mm focal length and the lens is just light enough to handhold. After the 70-200 2.8 II the 300 2.8 will be my next lens.

Good Luck!
    brendan