Thread: Using 9 Point AF in T1i

Using 9 Point AF in T1i

Hello Everyone,

I am new to digital SLRs. I am currently using T1i and would like to know how to take pictures using all 9 AF points? is there a way to use all 9AF at the same time? or if I am taking a shot where I want everything to be sharp or focused what are my best options? Any assistance would be great and thanks in advance.

Jack

Re: Using 9 Point AF in T1i

To get more things in focus you need to close the aperture. Pick up a copy of DSLRs for Dummies[/i]by David Buschit'll explain aperture pretty clearly. The Photography Bible[/i] by Daniel Lezanoexplains aperture pretty clearly as well.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

If you're in auto AF point selection mode, it will select from among the 9 points for the closest one or ones (if more than one are on the same place) that is/are in focus. If you're shooting a flat wall square-on, that's all the points. If you're shooting a 'real' scene, the aperture selected will determine depth of field, and the larger the f-stop number (meaning the smaller the aperture), the deeper the depth of field/focus.

+1 on the suggestion to read an introductory book, or take an introductory class!

It's amazing to me how slow people can be to learn what aperture does and what f-stops are. I purchased a 35mm Rebel G in 1997 but didn't learn about aperture realy did until in antisipation of getting a DSLR, in 2008,I purchased several photography books by David Buschstarting withDSLRs for Dummies[/i]<span style="font-family: 'Arial', 'sans-serif';"],<span style="font-family: 'Arial', 'sans-serif'; color: #3366cc;"]<span id="btAsinTitle"]Digital SLR Pro Secrets<span style="font-family: 'Arial', 'sans-serif';"].I alsohave The Photography Bible[/i] by Daniel Lezano. I'drecommend any or all of thesefor beginners.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

You really should learn to manually select aperture, and use Av mode, as others are suggesting.

In the meantime, the T1i also has the A-Dep mode. When in this mode, the camera will attempt to focus on each of the points, and choose an aperture that gets everything in focus, as best it can. It takes longer to made a shot, as the camera may focus 9 times before shooting.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thank you everyone for your help and all the suggestions. I will try A-Dep mode as well as the books mentioned. I am very thankful to everyone for their prompt replies and valuable information. I will be checking with your guys/gals for more suggestions later on.

Jack