Thread: What should I get?

What should I get?

I appreaciate any advice I can get on this subject. I am going back and forth between the T1i, T2i and 50D.

I can get the basic kit, or I could buy the body and get a few lenses to go with it. I want to start with basic portrait photography, and see where it takes me. I am doing a lot of research, but find that all the numbers and terms are more confusing to me at this time. I would like to stay under $1200, and build as I go. I just need to know what lens would be best to start with, and if going with the package deal would be fine to start.

Looking at 50D with 28-135mm

T2i body and purchasing a lens

T1i 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS

Also, heard to add the EF 50mm 1.8 II

Again, thank you for your input!

Re: What should I get?

What do you have right now (if anything)?

Nothing, completely starting out.

Out of those 3 bodies the T2i is going to be your best bet. Instead of a 50 f/1.8, buy an 85mm f/1.8 that'll give you better build, image quality, and focusing for about $300. If you can wait a bit try to buy the EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM, but that alone'll cost you $1100 so it might not be an option yet.

Good Luck!

brendan

Welcome to the TDP Forums!

I'd recommend a T2i (with the kit lens), the EF 85mm f/1.8 lens (great for portraits), and a 430EX II flash. If you want to take portraits, you'll likely need a flash and the built-in one just won't cut it. Reportedly, there will be a rebate on the flash starting soon.

If that exceeds your budget, I'd downgrade to the T1i before giving up the flash.

I have the 50D and absolutely love it. It has been on-the-fly learning for me as well. The 50D is my first DLSR and I went with the 28-135 kit lens. It was good but it didn't take me long to upgrade to the 17-55 IS lens.

I definitely recommend the 50D, but I don't know too much about the T2i.

Good luck.

I'd also leave some money for a decent tripod if you don't have one already (I believe you said you are just starting out, no gear at all).

I have owned a T1i for about the last 9 months and am already starting to see its limitations. I say if you can push the budget a bit get the 7D with the 85mm 1.8 (as a couple of other guys suggested - it's a good focal length for portraits especially on a APS-C sensor), a good zoom like the 24-105 F4 or the 24-70 F2.8 and the flash and the tripod. If the budget is tight and can't be helped, grab the T1i for now and put the zoom on hold. I know, this budget thing sucks. What we need is a money tree or some magic beens. If I find one I'll let you know.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Superman
    I say if you can push the budget a bit get the 7D with the 85mm 1.8 (as a couple of other guys suggested - it's a good focal length for portraits especially on a APS-C sensor), a good zoom like the 24-105 F4 or the 24-70 F2.8 and the flash and the tripod.

I have to say the IQ of 7D is just as same as Rebels', if you don't shoot bird or sports, it's a waste. I will agree that the 85mm 1.8 is a great lens.but for general purpose, tamron17-50mm2.8 will fit in the budget.

I had a rebel XSi and love it, only thing I don't like for Rebel is the shutter lag.

Alright back on topic, since the 85mm 1.2L isn't anywhere near his budget [^o)]

I guess you don't want to buy a camera purely for portraiture-photography. At least I think you want to have a general-purpose-lens. I don't know US prices so my recommendations could be out of your reach.

Option 1: I would recommend you to buy a body with a kit-lens (18-55) and buy OR a 85mm 1.8(for head-shoulder and further distances) OR a 50mm 1.8/1.4(for headshots to full-body shots). This option is for a portrait-based kit.

Option 2: I would say a body with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 as a general purpose-lens(also good for portraits) with perhaps a canon 50mm f1.8, if it's in the budget, as a portrait-lens. This is the one I would personally pick since a good general-purpose lens is always welcome.

Side-note: as Neuroanatomist already said: a flash is a real good attribute for portrait-photography.

As far as choice of bodies is...

50D is probably better suited for sports and other action, while the t1i and t2i give you much more gadgets to play with and both are great cameras. Personally the rebel-series is too small for my hands, but in your case you might get more out of a rebel-body than a 50D. You also achieve movie-mode on both rebel-bodies.

Good luck choosing,

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by salazarbrujo

I recommend the Canon EOS 40D, and the 85mm 1.2L. I use the 40D and love it. I use the 100mm ef macro f/2.8 and love it as well. Here are some small examples from a non professional!

@salazarbrujo - unless you're going to give the OP your 40D and a few hundred $ in addition, your recommendations are not helpful to someone with a budget of $1200.

Now, where have I seen those photos before? Oh yes, now I remember - in about 6 other threads here in the forum. Posting 11 images (including two copies of the same one, and several blurry images which don't make your case very effectively at all) is very distracting to the thread.

Ok, coffee in hand and Monday morning crankiness abating. Thanks, Jan, for getting back to the proper topic of the thread!

@creative eye - I just wanted to re-emphasize the importance of a separate flash (Speedlite). Sure, real 'pro' portrait photographers will be using top-of-the-line equipment (for example, an outdoor session for which we hired a pro for on a previous vacation to Martha's Vineyard used a 5DII body, 85mm /1.2L, 24-70 f/2.8L, and 70-200 f/2.8L IS - that's >$7K in gear - but more importantly, she had the skill to use it properly, and we got some great pics!).

But, walk into a 'cheap' portrait studio (one in a mall, Target, etc.) and look at what they are using. In most cases, it's a consumer level body (Rebel series or the Nikon equivalent) and an 18-55mm kit lens. Why? Because the studio is equipped with off-camera strobes, meaning they can shoot at f/8 (with those kit lenses, f/8 is pretty sharp), and the studio also has pull-down backdrops that eliminate the need for a strong OOF blur that otherwise would require a wide (f/2.8 or wider) aperture.

So, save a little money for some muslin or background paper (you can build a frame from PVC pipe cheaply), and start off by bouncing your flash off the ceiling (should be white, and you'll want a 430EX II flash, not the smaller 270EX). If shooting outdoors, choose your locations carefully (distant, 'plain' background scenery). You'll be able to take some great portraits without a huge investment.

Good luck!