Thread: more useful low light lens?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: more useful low light lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    For these reasons, I often prefer 200 f/2.8 because you get about as much blur as 135 f/2 but more DOF.

That was one of the biggest reasons I sold my 200mm f/2.8L prime (which is even less hand-holdable than the 135mm f/2L) - unless I was shooting in bright daylight, there were a lot of misses due to camera shake. With the lens you call the "most hand holdable lens canon currently makes" (the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II), I've gotten handleld shots at 200mm after sunset, with shutter speeds around 1/13 s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    the 135 (which, despite its speed, isn't a particularly hand-holdable lens).

Yes, compression and angle of view do make a difference. One thing I'll say in favor of 200mm f/2.8 - I did get some wonderful outdoor candid portraits (with the prime lens, but the 70-200 2.8I or II would be similar for that) where reflections in the background are just big, smooth circles.

Thanks for all your responses. This is gonna be a tough decision. What would you do?

I shoot portraits as well as events. I think I'm leaning toward the 70-200. I just fear the weight and attention it will grab when trying to do candids.

If it were me, I'd get the 70-200mm f/2.8. Oh wait, it was me and I did! I'd been wanting the 135mm f/2L as well, but now that I have the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, not so much. It's still on the list, but way lower down. I got used to the weight pretty quickly (and with the help of a BlackRapid strap). 200mm is long enough for candids without causing a stir...or you can flaunt that big white lens, and people will move out of your way.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to do the swap. I guess if I need faster glass with similar focal length I can always pick up the 100mm 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    I shoot portraits as well as events. I think I'm leaning toward the 70-200. I just fear the weight and attention it will grab when trying to do candids.

I think you will find the focal length versatility better with the 70-200 outweigh the size/weight. It should be understood that there will be a downgrade in image quality between the two, but hey, these are two freakin' L monsters. That is just splitting hairs.

As far as attention, you can get lens covers for them on the cheap tocamouflagethat baby. I've not met an event photographer that didn't have a 70-200 2.8. Take that how you will.

Good luck,

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro