Thread: 85 1.2 L II First Impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 85 1.2 L II First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Maybe I'll start an 85mm f/1.2 <span style="color: #ff0000;"]L fund and dump a couple hundred bucks from each wedding I shoot...maybe by 2012 I could buy one ;-)

If you're going that route, stay away from the forums and do not, I repeat do not rent the lens. You will put your family through a barren Christmas before you wait an extra day for the 85L if you've actually shot with one.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    If you're going that route, stay away from the forums and do not, I repeat do not rent the lens.
    I was seriously considering renting one for my next wedding! I guess this should have been warning enough:

"Roger&rsquo;s take: Be warned: This lens is hugely addictive. Strong photographers have wept standing in line at the post office to return it. Please don&rsquo;t let your tears fall on the return label&rsquo;s bar code &ndash; it slows down return shipping when the scanner can&rsquo;t read it."

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Great stuff Keith, indeed what a killer DOF! I was thinking my 50mm 1.4 had tiny DOF on FF, but this is even shallower! Enjoy your lens![img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]

Jan

Thanks Jan!
    </div>

Yeah I guess it's higher compression of the 85mm. I don't know how much effect the 1/3 stop plays into it. I don't know but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

I was seriously considering renting one for my next wedding! I guess this should have been warning enough:

"Roger&rsquo;s take: Be warned: This lens is hugely addictive. Strong photographers have wept standing in line at the post office to return it. Please don&rsquo;t let your tears fall on the return label&rsquo;s bar code &ndash; it slows down return shipping when the scanner can&rsquo;t read it."

Roger's Takes are always deal sealers for me. He has cost me thousands. I would definitely be sad returning this lens. My alternative to shoot this range with, the 70-200 2.8 IS, was never fun. I didn't get excited about the images and I definitely don't like the feel but the 85L just cradles in your hands and just feels natural and un-inhibiting. I'm going to give it a couple weeks and then probably throw the 70-200 to the auction block and maybe a year or so down the road pick up the 200/2.0.

Congrats, Keith! I don't doubt you'll enjoy the 85 for years to come.

Good stuff Keith. I would absolutely love that lens but I think if my camera bag gets any heavier I'll have to get a shoulder reconstruction (and plastic surgery to fix my head after my darling missus beats me over the melon with a 70-200mm f/4L IS[:'(] ).

Also, my wallet gets exponentially lighter as my camera bag gets heavier [:S]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Good stuff Keith. I would absolutely love that lens but I think if my camera bag gets any heavier I'll have to get a shoulder reconstruction (and plastic surgery to fix my head after my darling missus beats me over the melon with a 70-200mm f/4L IS[:'(] ).

Also, my wallet gets exponentially lighter as my camera bag gets heavier [img]/emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Ah, the benefits of being single and stupid. No open to hit me with stuff when I make insane purchases. I just couldn't pass up the rebate and the no interest no payments for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Ah, the benefits of being single and stupid. No open to hit me with stuff when I make insane purchases. I just couldn't pass up the rebate and the no interest no payments for 2 years.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I wish I'd gotten into photography when I was single (Instead, I bought stereo equipment and guns) but I've been with my wife over ten years and would probably be dying to upgrade all of those old lenses anyway. []
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Thanks!

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It's the no-interest stuff that can be my downfall. I've learned that Ritz/Wolf Camera tends to be overpriced, except for the newly-released stuff. I bought my first Canon camera through them on a ten-month plan, then went back for a P&amp;S and 16-35 lens (had to buy $300 of camera to qualify the rest of the purchase.

In an odd way, I'm glad Ritz/Wolf is/was temporarily unable to sell Canon gear (bankruptcy issues), as it kept me from buying a 1D4 too quickly. As a result (and with big financial commitments this year), I found the 7D, and now have two of them.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thanks!

I was reading, distantly interested, until the last line. Where the heck did you find that deal?