Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 85 1.8 vs 85 1.2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 85 1.8 vs 85 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Focused on one given spot with my 85 1.2 @ 1.2 = 1/125. Then bumped up to 1.8 = 1/60.

I'll let the brains figure out the decimals. I know it something over 1 stop. Obviously the 85 1.8 may expose differently.

Realizing the 1/125 and 1/60 may skew the numbers, I tried a scenario where 1.2 was 1/320 and then 1.8 turned out to be 1/160.

Focused on one given spot with my 85 1.2 @ 1.2 = 1/125. Then bumped up to 1.8 = 1/60.

I'll let the brains figure out the decimals. I know it something over 1 stop. Obviously the 85 1.8 may expose differently.

Realizing the 1/125 and 1/60 may skew the numbers, I tried a scenario where 1.2 was 1/320 and then 1.8 turned out to be 1/160.

Thanks, Keith. So at least for that lens, it's a 'complete' stop. 1/320→ 1/160 and 1/125→ 1/60 areboth one-stop changes in shutter speed. Each stop represents a rough (but not necessarily exact!) doubling/halving of the amount of light. The full-stop scale is 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000, etc. Underlined jumps are not exact divisions by 2. Your first example just happened to fall on one of those.

So I guess for the sake of "metering" you're gaining 1-stop but mathematically it's 1 1/6<sup>th</sup> stops? I'd imagine that it would be hard to determine if a picture was over exposed by 1/6<sup>th</sup> of a stop :-)

Alan

All this discussion about light, and the mathematics of it, and there still isn't a single image posted here. I, for one, would like to see one, or two, perhaps.

Where is this thread going?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    <div id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_PostForm__QuoteText"]

All this discussion about light, and the mathematics of it, and there still isn't a single image posted here. I, for one, would like to see one, or two, perhaps.

</div>

Things do tend to get "technical" around here but I think the biggest reasonwhy there haven't been pictures posted yet is because Ican only think of (off the top of my head)3 forum members that are owners of the 85 f/1.2. Of those 3 only 1 is a "regular" contributor and that's Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

<div id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_PostForm__QuoteText"]

</div>

Things do tend to get "technical" around here but I think the biggest reasonwhy there haven't been pictures posted yet is because Ican only think of (off the top of my head)3 forum members that are owners of the 85 f/1.2. Of those 3 only 1 is a "regular" contributor and that's Keith.

I don't have the 85 1.8 version so I can't post a comparison between the 2. The only other thing I've shot with the 1.2, besides the dog shots, was some random night stuff just to see what 1.2 was like.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_5305sm.jpg[/img]

5DII, 85 1.2II 1/40 f/1.2 ISO 1600

I have a shoot tomorrow of a candle lighting ceremony that should really show what the 85 1.2 can do. I'll post some of those tomorrow night.

there still isn't a single image posted here

Here's one, from Bryan, 85mm f/1.8 vs. 85mm f/1.2L:

If you subscribe to the 'bigger is better' school of thought, 'nuf said... [:P]

Else, you might try pixel-peeper.com, and use the advanced search option to find images with each lens (on the body of your choice, if you like).

<div>

Ican only think of (off the top of my head)3 forum members that are owners of the 85 f/1.2

FWIW, I plan on ordering one before the end of the rebate. Since I also have the 85mm f/1.8, I'll be in a position to compare them - assuming I recall the existence of this thread amid the flurry of new-lens excitement...
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; mso-themecolor: text1;"]It&rsquo;s hypnotizing!<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Must look away, try to resist!<o></o>

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

there still isn't a single image posted here

If you subscribe to the 'bigger is better' school of thought, 'nuf said... [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Else, you might try pixel-peeper.com, and use the advanced search option to find images with each lens (on the body of your choice, if you like).

<div>

Ican only think of (off the top of my head)3 forum members that are owners of the 85 f/1.2

FWIW, I plan on ordering one before the end of the rebate. Since I also have the 85mm f/1.8, I'll be in a position to compare them - assuming I recall the existence of this thread amid the flurry of new-lens excitement...
    </div>

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

John, you're a funny guy.....

I think....

Bigger is always better, by the way. At least, with glass.

John, you're a funny guy.....

I think....

Bigger is always better, by the way. At least, with glass.

The 85 1.2 really feels awesome in your hands. It is kind of weird looking on the 5DII but it feels pretty well balanced. Even though it isn't long and white, the huge clear beautiful front element will certainly cathch an eye or two.

The another reason I just bit the bullet on the 1.2 is that I was concerned with feel and construction of the 1.8. It's appearance conjures thoughts of my 50 1.4 and I never liked that lens. Besides any IQ issues, it just didn't feel right in my hands. It never felt balanced.