Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House Finale shot on 5DII's...."It's the future."

House Finale shot on 5DII's...."It's the future."

Don't think this has been posted, but I saw this listed on the House wikia page for the season finale episode:http://house.wikia.com/wiki/Help_Me

"The entire episode was filmed on multiple Canon EOS 5D Mark IIs."

Very interesting. During the final scene, close-up of House where they racked the focus between his eyes and it made me think of the 85 f/1.2 and I was impressed that a film camera could get that kind of slim DOF, then I read that little tidbit.

So if you're a House fan, or interested in the capabilities of the 5DII, you should check it out. Available streaming on-line from hulu, etc...

Anybody know if any other major productions have used the 5DII?

EDIT: Here's an article confirming. I'm about to read it:

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/04/09/house-season-finale-filmed-entirely-with-canon-5d-mark-ii/

Re: House Finale shot on 5DII's...."It's the future."

The footage from it certainly looks amazing and as long as you don't find the clip length limiting and record your audioseparately,then for its price its hard to beat.

It was in the Canon News section here on April 13. :-)

"Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Just Announced Apple MacBook Pro Laptops Available for Preorder

B&H has the just-announced Apple MacBook Pro Notebook Computers available for preorder.

Fox's House Season Finale Shot Entirely with 5D Mark II

With the NAB show going on, it is appropriate to learn that Greg Yaitanes has confirmed that Fox's House Season Finale was shot entirely with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II (thanks Jason)."

Unfortunately, there were some severe storms locally which caused the episode to air in standard def. with a "Storm Watch" overlay. I was unhappy about that. I may have to check it out on hulu.

If your in to the movie aspect of it, planet5d.com has all the lastest and greatest info on the markIV, 5D,7D, and Rebels series movies and videos. There's also a small learning section.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]
    Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox
    House Finale shot on 5DII's...
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" style="font-size: small;"]

I did noticevery shallow DOF on multiple occasions earlier this season. It kinda smelled like a DSLR...
    </font>

I read a while ago, they were using several 5DmkII on the set of Iron Man 2.

Still videocameras used for films are a LOT better than the 5D. I can't imagine they would use a 5D for a serious cinematic movie.

I mean 1080p full-hd sounds like a lot, but professional cameras use a much greater resolution. And I'm not sure what resolution cinemas render, but I'm guessing it's greater than 1080p.

For TV-appliances it's a great tool though, since it will never demand a greater resolution than 1080p. At least not for now [A]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Still videocameras used for films are a LOT better than the 5D. I can't imagine they would use a 5D for a serious cinematic movie.

I mean 1080p full-hd sounds like a lot, but professional cameras use a much greater resolution. And I'm not sure what resolution cinemas render, but I'm guessing it's greater than 1080p.

For TV-appliances it's a great tool though, since it will never demand a greater resolution than 1080p. At least not for now [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

I don't know, the article didn't say what it was used for. Maybe it was used to shoot DVD extra type stuff.

It seems like with some kind of hack the sensor could deliver 5616p footage. The processor probably can't keep up with it though.

Yes, but I think this is aboutthe size of the sensor, at which 5DII is better. Thanks to cameras like 5DII a razor thin DOF is possible.

I mean 1080p full-hd sounds like a lot...

1080p is actually "only"2 megapixels, which is obsolete for still picture, butonce you move it at 30 or so fpsit becomes a verydemanding format.

...but professional cameras use a much greater resolution.

And yes, professional cameras use higher resolutions, to the point that they able to achieve panning effects in post. Canon 5DII uses most ofthe surface of itssensor to record and then downscales theimageto1080p.

And I'm not sure what resolution cinemas render, but I'm guessing it's greater than 1080p.

I am not sure here. But remember, we watch movies in the theater from quite a distance, so I would not be surprised if it actually is 1080p. Maybe next time I go to a movie theater I sit in the first raw andtake a closer look at those pixels[:P]

Perhaps there's a more informed person around here to clarify all of this, because I can argue with you, but I'm also only assuming things haha. Anyway it's cool what you can do with a 5D2...(thinking what I have to do to achieve the same reults with my 5D [:P]) Videography is a totally different field of work []