Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Tripod

Travel Tripod

I am planning a trip to Hawaii, but Ineed a travel tiipod for Canon: 7D, 15-85, 70-200 f4L and 100 2.8L micro. I am considering the Benro TRA 268 as a possible option. Does anyone have an experience with this tripod or the brand itself?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Travel Tripod

i purchased the carbon fiber Benro and attached it to my backpack. holds my 7d and 70-200 f4 IS L. 5 miles in Yosemite to the middle falls was no problem. folds down nicely.

Welcome jstenuf. I'm pretty new to this, but here's my two cents worth. Benro is a knock-off brand copying Gitzo I think. There are at least three people on this site that have Benro's and they can give you the ins and outs. I'm sure others will chime in on the differences and it basically amounts to "you get what you pay for" and "Would you trust almost $3,000 in gear on a $150 tripod?". Both are valid questions. If this is a one-time thing, you might consider renting one instead. If you're going to use it a long time, save your self some money and get the best you can affordthe first time as yougoing todo it sooner than you might think if you go the cheap route, even if it is a Benro. I don't know if you'll like the weight of the one your looking at as I think it's aluminium (+5 lbs.). Also keep in mind when looking around that the 4-section packs better, but you lose stability.

Hope this helps some until the pros get online
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

i never had a gitz to compare directly. my benro tripod ran about $450 from B&H and i have no complaints with it whatsoever. first hand account, not just something i read.

With your current gear set up, you don't need an expensive tripod. An aluminum tripod in the range of $100-150 should do it, what you need to pay attention more is a good ball head.

I agree, getting a good ball head is paramount. I picked up the new BH-30 from Really Right Stuff, and it is superb for travel. It has no problem supporting a 5DII with 70-200 f/2.8. I'm sure there are several similar models out there by other companiesthat are just as good.

IMO, Manfrotto offers about the best compromise between quality and price. They aren't Gitzo, but they are stable, well made, and robust. As long as you're not planning on supporting a supertelephoto lens, something like the 190CXPRO3 (or -4, which I have), combined with a 498RC2 (I have the equivalent but older 488RC2) will work fine. I use it with a gripped 7D and 100-400mm or 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II as my longest/heaviest lenses. It's light and easy to carry strapped onto the outside of my Lowepro Flipside 400AW.

Have you considered a gorilla podhttp://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom/?

I have have one and it goes everywhere with me...

On a recent holiday to Spain I took my gorilla pod and tripod and the tripoddidn'tget used once but the gorilla pod got used loads; long exposures; different angles (hanging from a tree!) and the holiday groups shots where with a remote release means you can be in the shot and not rely on other people to mess the shot up for you; also it has a different feel in public to a tripod, like inside places like churches where a tripod is bit frowned upon but a gorilla pod perched on the pew in front is a thing of curiosity...

Might be a bit of left field suggestion but if you're travelling (or just generally) I heartily recommend it, one of the best "camera" related purchases I have made

(I have no affiliation to joby!)

Very good idea. I'm thinking of getting one too. Like you said: it's lightweight, easy to carry, and catches less atention than a normal tripod... And offcourse: it won't hurt your wallet much..

I cannot recommend a Gorillapod, unless you are using a P&S. They just have too many problems.
    1. Too fiddly. Precise adjustments are impossible with a heavy SLR, even with a ball head attached, since even minor shifts in weight require readjustment of the legs. Takes too much time to adjust. By the time you've got it wrapped around something, and are confident it won't move out of position, the moment has passed.
    2. Too top-heavy and unstable.
    3. Must rely on an appropriate support structure. Thus you are always searching for a place to anchor it, which severely limits your compositional flexibility.
    4. Noisy. Adjusting the legs makes a lot of snapping sounds if they are stiff.

In summary, it's not a serious camera support. Frankly, if all you need is something to hold your camera up so that you can also be in the picture, then a Benro Travel Angel works just fine. If you just need something to help hold up your camera, but must be as light as possible, get a monopod. If you need rock steady support for long exposure or landscape photography, there is nothing out there under 3 pounds--get a full-size tripod. But under no circumstances is a Gorillapod better than any of these options, if you are using an SLR.