Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Look for a new Lens

Re: Look for a new Lens

If you're staying with a crop sensor, and you like landscapes, nothing can beat the Canon 10-22mm. It's simply fantastic in both build and optical quality.

I wouldn't be too worried about the aperture being a little higher as with landscapes you generally want a deep depth of field anyway so you'll find yourself stopping down to narrower apertures.

Don't discount the Sigma 10-20mm either. I have a friend who uses it (on a Nikon D80) and he's taken some beautiful photos with it.

Hope this helps. Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

So I bought a used 17-55mmf2.8canon lens. Paid about $800 for it out here. Should get it in next week. Came with a Hoya UV filter and a few other accessories.

What about a hood?

A generic one I see run about $15 with shipping compared to a canon one hich is $50+

Is there a difference between the two?

Congrats on a great lens purchase! (And a great price, too!)

A few weeks ago, I'd have said you'd be fine with a 3rd party hood. The only 'optical' difference between them is the Canon lens hoods have flocking on the inside (a velvety coating to reduce reflections) that most 3rd party hoods lack. But recently Jordan mentioned getting a 3rd party hood for his 17-55mm, and it frequently rotated or fell off - enough that he stopped using it entirely. Given that, I'd recommend shelling out the price of the Canon hood, or if you do get a 3rd party version, make sure you can return it easily (and not end up paying more than you would just buying the OEM hood from the outset).

If I translate the one I was looking at..

<span>Hood dedicated to the following Canon lenses.
    <span>Dimensions identical to the EW-83J - the same functionality as the original at a fraction of its price!
    <span>Guarantee the absence of vignetting throughout the zoom range.
    <span>Fastened to the bayonet, of course - thanks to high-quality material, often does not wear off springs.

<span>Cover is made of durable plastic
    <span>the inside cover is anti - matt
    <span>fastened to the bayonet - can establish a reverse on the lens,
    <span>high quality and durability of the product,
    <span>new, unused - warranty 24 months.

Got the lens in today.

Looks real nice!

No scratches, damages, etc. Ill have to play around with it, but just testing the IS it works great.