Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Bodies

Upgrading Bodies

Hey guys, so I'm upgrading my camera body once I get some more $$$ in the bank.I'm currently shooting a 1D MK1; yes the original, 12 year old body haha.The decision to finally get a new body is based on the fact that I'm doing more work for indoor events. The noise on my 1D MK1 is about on par with a point and shoot now, so being able to sell images and keep them clean is becoming a huge factor. I love the 1D bodies and how easy they are to use and handle, but being 20 years old, I just can't afford the latest 1D bodies and still pay for good glass sooner down the road. I'm looking at picking up a 7D since I do a lot of wildlife on top of the photojournalism and the 1.6x crop and 8 fps are a huge plus. Just wanted to know the biggest differences I should prepare for once I get the new body hopefully in July.

Thanks!

Mike
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Re: Upgrading Bodies

Well, for nearly the same price as a new 7D, I have seen several clean used 1DIII bodies on eBay. That may be something to consider. The 7D does sound like a great camera but seems like it may leave you feeling shorted if you are used to the build and heft of a 1-series.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG2012

I'm looking at picking up a 7D since I do a lot of wildlife on top of the photojournalism and the 1.6x crop and 8 fps are a huge plus. Just wanted to know the biggest differences I should prepare for once I get the new body hopefully in July.

Thanks!

Mike

I have the 7D along with 5DmkII. If you get the 7D (which I highly recommend) I think you'll find it to be a pleasant upgrade to your 1D. I prefer the smaller bodies but if you like the size and the vertical shutter of the 1D just buy the battery grip and you will probably never look back or think about a 1DIV.

The battery grip is the first thing on my shopping list once I pick up the 7D. I can't stand not having that vertical shutter button set up haha.
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

Well, for nearly the same price as a new 7D, I have seen several clean used 1DIII bodies on eBay.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I agree, I've seen some pretty decent deals on the MKIII bodies in stores and online. Also if you're in Canada and still gunning for the 7D, Aden Camera is offering a deal for $1850 to get the body, grip and a 2nd battery. I'm picking mine up this week []

Thats an awesome deal!

Unfortunately I'm in Atlanta in the US and I hate buying anything like a high end camera off the internet. I'd rather have the security of a local store warranty. I'll still consider it though....

Dang that's an incredible deal haha

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG2012

I'm in Atlanta

In Atlanta, go by and visit the guys at KEH. They do not have the 1DmkIII at this time but they do from time to time. They do have some 1D mkIIs you could play with in the store. They also have several 7Ds. They have a great return/warranty policy. I am sure they could help you make your decision and give you a good price for your 1D mkI.

Mark
    Mark

Thanks Mark.

I've held and messed with several 1D3 bodies and 7D bodies. Both are super comfortable and I'm fine with either interface. I'll defiantely check out KEH though. Do you know about PPR? They seem good, but have high prices.

And I figured I'd hold onto the 1D MK1 just for the sake of having a back up and so my dad can start shooting with me versus just using binoculars.

And now I'm getting curious as to which would really be the better purchase. A used 1d3, or a new 7d with a battery grip. I know the 1d3 will probably have better noise levels, and its the body style I'm used too. Its just nice to have the option of not having a full sized body, and the 1.6x crop of the 7d is awesome for wildlife. If I can get a 1d3 with good auto focus, would it perform better than the 7d's?

I am not familier with PPR. I have purchased from KEH and found them to be honest and their return/warranty policies are the best.

The 1D3 or the 7D? damn hard choice to make. You can not go wrong with either.

Good luke

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

The 1D3 or the 7D? damn hard choice to make. You can not go wrong with either.

Tis true. Happy hunting, but you will not be disappointed with whichever body you choose!