Thread: Need a general-purpose lens...lots of indoor shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Need a general-purpose lens...lots of indoor shooting

Quote Originally Posted by davideglasgow
    That being said, I do quite a bit of indoor shooting of my kids. I currently have the 50mm f/1.4 and spend a lot of time shooting at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 due to the lighting in my house.

Why do you shoot at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 instead of shooting at f/2 and ISO 800?

I don't really care about the focal lengths, but the f/4 vs. f/2.8 is important to me.

I know you say you don't care about focal lengths, but I assume you mean when it comes to the selection of zooms that you mentioned. Do you find the 50mm f/1.4 too long for general purpose use indoors? If so, you might want to take a look at the 35mm f/2 for a cheap alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

That being said, I do quite a bit of indoor shooting of my kids. I currently have the 50mm f/1.4 and spend a lot of time shooting at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 due to the lighting in my house.

Why do you shoot at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 instead of shooting at f/2 and ISO 800?

Mainly to keep the DOF somewhat reasonable. The 50mm f/1.4 is sharpest down to f/2.8, as well. Maybe I destroy all that with the high ISO...who knows. Recommendation?

Mainly to keep the DOF somewhat reasonable. The 50mm f/1.4 is sharpest down to f/2.8, as well. Maybe I destroy all that with the high ISO...who knows. Recommendation?

I was just asking to make sure f/2.8 was necessary. If that's the case, then an f/2.8 zoom would be fine (in fact, probably ideal). However, if you could get away with shallower depth of field, then a cheaper (wider) prime might have fit the bill.