Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice Needed for Speedlights and L Brackets

Re: Advice Needed for Speedlights and L Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

Denise,

Just curious as to why you chose the Kirk over the RRS. I just got off the phone with RRS, and I have compared them both until my eyes are crossed, and it seems like the RRS is maybe a nicer bracket. I also found out that the RRS 50D bracket can be used on the 40D, which is what I currently have. The guy I spoke with said that since the fit and contouring are pretty precise, the 40D bracket will NOT fit onto the 50D, partly because the 50D body is ever so slightly wider.

The Kirk site actually lists the same part number for both cameras, so they obviously are interchangeable. I just don't think I like the thickness of the side part of the Kirk when compared with the RRS. When you get yours, would you chime in again? Meanwhile, if I get the RRS, I have 30 days to send it back, so I'll let you know my thoughts on using their 50D bracket on my 40D, too.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Even though I read many favorable reviews for the RRS, I guess my main reason overall on choosing the Kirk was because the only one here that had one of them is lAMB and it was the Kirk. Some reviews online found fault with both of them (for different reasons) after testing each one. They are not all the same that's for sure!

I bought mine at B&amp;H, so I only have 15 days to send it back if I don't like it. We'll see! I should have it the early part of next week ...I'll let you know what I think! Man, I sure wish I just had a store in town that sells this stuff so I could try both out right there!!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I sure wish I just had a store in town that sells this stuff so I could try both out right there!!

Funny you should mention that. I'm thinking about building a camera store right next to you...where ever that is!!![]
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

Denise,

Just curious as to why you chose the Kirk over the RRS. I just got off the phone with RRS, and I have compared them both until my eyes are crossed, and it seems like the RRS is maybe a nicer bracket. I also found out that the RRS 50D bracket can be used on the 40D, which is what I currently have. The guy I spoke with said that since the fit and contouring are pretty precise, the 40D bracket will NOT fit onto the 50D, partly because the 50D body is ever so slightly wider.

The Kirk site actually lists the same part number for both cameras, so they obviously are interchangeable. I just don't think I like the thickness of the side part of the Kirk when compared with the RRS. When you get yours, would you chime in again? Meanwhile, if I get the RRS, I have 30 days to send it back, so I'll let you know my thoughts on using their 50D bracket on my 40D, too.
    <div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

Even though I read many favorable reviews for the RSS, I guess my main reason overall on choosing the Kirk was because the only one here that had one of them is lAMB and it was the Kirk. Some reviews online found fault with both of them (for different reasons) after testing each one. They are not all the same that's for sure!

I bought mine at BH, so I only have 15 days to send it back if I don't like it. We'll see! I should have it the early part of next week ...I'll let you know what I think! Man, I sure wish I just had a store in town that sells this stuff so I could try both out right there!!

Denise

I actually did have a Kirk L-bracket on my former Nikon D100, which I sold with the camera, and it was very nicely built. Not that there was anything spectacular about it, just made solidly. It was lacking the laser engraved marks for accurately lining up the body/bracket on the quick release mount, which the RRS has. I think I am going to order the RRS unit I mentioned, partly because I just realized that July 4th is coming soon, and I haven't been able to retrieve my old SunPak 7500TM tripod from the job site where I left it a few weeks back. The proprietary SunPak bracket that is on my 40D now won't fit anything else. I guess it is dumpster fodder at this point. [] Oh, well, I'd rather use the Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod anyway. []