Thread: I Want To Buy 2 Lenses, 1 can be an "L"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: I Want To Buy 2 Lenses, 1 can be an "L"

I would go for EF17-40 L and EF135mm L take the advantage of crop sensor 1.6

So youre reach will be

1. 17-40 = 27.2-64

2, 135 = 216

If you're doing wildlife, I'd really second the feeling of going LONG. This was as close as I could get to the sea otter before he started swimming away, and it was at 400mm, and then cropped a little. It would have been a little tighter on a crop body, and I could have croped to match, but I decided that I liked both the gull and his reflection on the water

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.92/2009_2D00_02_2D00_10_5F00_MossLandingFriends_5F00_ 0009_2800_800x501_2900_.JPG[/img]

There is so much good advice in this thread, and it is just simply great to read!

Honestly when it comes to lenses it really boils down to when you are going to buy a certain L lens. This quest of capturing your sight, that glimmer of light, that serendipity that only God knew about, or that controlled portrait is indeed enhanced by having the best tool in your service.

For most people this lens choice is a matter of available funds/budget, or a willingness to use credit. Whatever your reason, from hobbyist to pro, the choice to buy the best lens for your need is the best and wisest choice indeed. I would rather have a Rebel XT and a 16-35 II, than a 50D with an 18-55 kit lens. It's all about the glass.

"Buy the best, cry only once."

In regards to your lens/budget question I think Sean Setters hit the nail on the head

70-200mm f/4 L and the 17-40mm f/4 L

You can't beat them for the money...and the 70-200 f/4L is an awesome portrait lens as well