Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens Review

Re: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens Review

An important unmentioned feature of Canon's new 100mm IS lens is that the filter diameter is 67mm instead of 58mm (the filter diameter of the classic).

What this means to all you macro photographers looking for an upgrade is that you're in for a frustrating surprise the first time you try to pop on your trusty MT-24EX twin flash. It won't fit without the Macrolite Adapter 67! As others have noted, IS is not a substitute for a good flash when it comes to serious macro work. Canon's website and all of the reviews I've seen could stand to make this explicit.

Great review Bryan as always!

I have the old one, but am really wanting the new one. As a poor student who can't afford anything I use my current 100mm Macro for even landscapes and just as a general all around lens... I get so much use out of it and most of the time wish I had IS on it that it almost seems worth it to me... I don't know... Thoughts, fellow TDPers?

Oh, and the fact that it looks freakin' amazing!

The IS on this lens is awsome at regular distances - well worth the upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Herpetologist
    Canon's website and all of the reviews I've seen could stand to make this explicit.

I, too, was a little surprised on the lack of information when I tried to read up on using the twin flash with the IS macro. Thanks to some help from this forum, I was able to determine that the adapter was needed *before* I bought the lens.

An important unmentioned feature of Canon's new 100mm IS lens is that the filter diameter is 67mm instead of 58mm

Actually, Bryan's review clearly warns: "Those using the Canon
    Macro Ring-Lite MR-14EX Flash
    or
    Canon
    Macro Twin-Lite MT-24EX Flash
    will need to get the
    Canon 67 Macrolite Adapter for this lens."

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Pierlux - You are correct - but,I just added this information to the review. So, the others are also correct. Just clarifying. []

Thanks again,

Bryan

Thanks for clarifying Bryan, and especially for updating the review. Glad you're keeping tabs on this stuff!

My $.02

I have the the old 58mm 100 macro, always use a tripod and a remote trigger control on my 50D. "If I don't screw up the shot with human error" the results are such that I can't justify the expense for the new one. All of my work is outside and have not found a need for the ring flash yet. However I keep telling my wife about how more efficiently I could be shooting in deep shadows under the evergreens. Oh well,,,, perhaps some day.

The only time that I shoot freehand I use my 17-55mm 2.8f & If I want to do some " closer " work this has done the job so far.

Godspeed to all

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by pierlux

An important unmentioned feature of Canon's new 100mm IS lens is that the filter diameter is 67mm instead of 58mm

Actually, Bryan's review clearly warns: "Those using the [url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Macro-Ring-Lite-MR-14EX-Flash-Review.aspx]Canon Macro Ring-Lite MR-14EX Flash[/url] or [url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Macro-Twin-Lite-MT-24EX-Flash-Review.aspx]Canon Macro Twin-Lite MT-24EX Flash[/url] will need to get the [url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656030-REG/Canon_3563B001.html/BI/3152/KBID/4157]Canon 67 Macrolite Adapter[/url] for this lens."
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Great review, Bryan!
    If you are using the adapter, let's not forget another $10 for the 58mm lens cap ...the good ol' Canon E-58U! [:P]

Denise