Thread: A beginner with high aspirations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: A beginner with high aspirations

Then again, I've seen some fantastic images made with a $100 50mm f/1.8 plastic wonder and a couple of off-camera shoe mount flashes.

I don't have the fantastic plastic nifty-fifty, but this was made with the 50mm f/1.4 and two (relatively cheap) shoe mount flashes:

In my opinion, as long as you have a lens that performs decently, you can do more for your images with creative lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Then again, I've seen some fantastic images made with a $100 50mm f/1.8 plastic wonder and a couple of off-camera shoe mount flashes.

I don't have the fantastic plastic nifty-fifty, but this was made with the 50mm f/1.4 and two (relatively cheap) shoe mount flashes:

In my opinion, as long as you have a lens that performs decently, you can do more for your images with creative lighting.

Hi, jeustace!

I agree 100% with Sean. It's more about the light than about the glass.

I wish I knew it before...

Alex.

jeustace,

Whatever lens you end up choosing as long as you know the limits and capabilities of it then you'll be able to produce fantastic images with it. I just got a 580ex ii as well with my dad, and trying out the techniques that Sean discussed in his articles [insert articles here perhaps?] about strobism I've learned a whole lot of new and great techniques. I encourage to take a peak!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by alex_sb
    It's more about the light than about the glass.

Even the glass is about the light! [:P]
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9