Thread: 7D Battery discharge problem

7D Battery discharge problem

Canon 7D, Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gig CF, three Canon OEM LP-6E batteries.

Whenever I remove the CF card to transfer the pictures into my computer, then reinsert the card back into my camera, the camera won't turn on. I have to remove the battery, the put that back in at which point the camera fires up as normal. Also, if I don't put the CF card back, the battery drains (the camera is of course, off). Has anyone encountered this before? Aside from that, the camera works just find.

Re: 7D Battery discharge problem

Just my 2cents from experience with my refurbished 7D...

Quote Originally Posted by the_d

Whenever I remove the CF card to transfer the pictures into my computer, then reinsert the card back into my camera, the camera won't turn on.

I thought maybe the problem might arise from removing the card without first turning off the camera. But I just took my 7D and did just that, but it just fires right back up. The only thing it didn't do was sensor clean [*-)]

Also, if I don't put the CF card back, the battery drains (the camera is of course, off). Has anyone encountered this before?

You mean that after couple of days or so the battery charge is noticeably decreased without use? Or it drains right before your eyes? Because I hear taking the battery out is good practice because it naturally drains and is bad for battery life if you keep it in...or so they say []

If I leave the CF card out for a couple of hours, then put it back in, the battery is dead. Oddly enough, my 7D is also a refurbished unit (from Adorama).

If I leave the CF card out for a couple of hours, then put it back in, the battery is dead. Oddly enough, my 7D is also a refurbished unit (from Adorama).

I often take the CF card (SanDisk Extreme UDMA 60mb/s 16gb) for hours on end while I post process my photos but I've never had this problems so far.Sounds like it may need to be re-refurbished once again []

Mine is also from Adorama but I guess I got lucky. No problems....yet.

Although... Canon did mis-package a 5DMkII neck strap instead of the 7D. I guess I could have pulled it off considering from a distance it's similar shape and size. But I think I like the 7D better for my photographic purposes []

I have heard of problems with the CF switch on the door sticking.The camera is then still using power.

You might be able to free it up by actuating it with a toothpick or something like that., and if thats the problem, it will fix it, at least temporarily. I'd return the camera or have it serviced.

I got my 7D yesterday and I have the same problem. Although the seal on the box was broken, I was told by the camera spoke sales rep that it was a new camera.

the_d, did you ever resolve this problem?