Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Thanks for the comments, guys. Here are a couple of other options from ACR.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.38.65/IMG_5F00_0862_5F00_2.jpg[/img]

exposure +.40

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.38.65/IMG_5F00_0862_5F00_3.jpg[/img]

exposure +.30 and fill light set to 20

Either of these look better than the one on flickr to your eyes? The wings of an eagle like this are very dark and need direct light or a very overexposed background to get much detail in them. The second edit was an attempt at bringing out the detail without overexposing the rest of the image but it makes the image look too washed out to me. My focus originally was on the face of the eagle and keeping the wings dark and contrasted, but I can see that the bump in exposure of the first picture helps a bit. What do you guys think?

Great picture! I think the first one looks better. You lose to much shadow in the second one.

I think I like the original picture out of the 3. I think it makes it slightly more dramatic with the darkness.

Out of the two above, I like the top one better.

edit: However, when compared to the Original on the previous page, I like the original better, because I like the darker green pine tree and I think the white portion of the top of the birds head has better contrast and pops more.

I think the last one is getting better in terms of feather detail.....you can always create a duplicate layer and a layer mask so you can keep the background the way you like and treat the bird differently.....I think if you adjust shadows/highlights then levels and follwed by some sharpening of just the bird it will really pop. Then adjust the background so it looks like the original.

Joel

This is a juvenile red bellied woodpecker from my backyard setup

40D + 300mm 2.8L + 1.4 TC + Tripod

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/IMG_5F00_1696.jpg[/img]

Joel, that's a very nice photo! Very sharp with a good background!

P.S. could you tell me what food you are using? It should be very delicious, because at least in Lithuania (Europe) I thought it's almost impossible to make a woodpecker to come to a backyard in summer

Thanks Tadas!

I use suet cakesand place them in in a small cage on hanging from a pole. There are many varieties,most birds don't show much preference but the woodpeckers really like the ones with peanut in them. All sorts of birds will eat suet cakes but it's a challenge to keep the squirrels away from them.

I purchase them from local stores such as Lowes, Tractor Supply or WalMart, I would assume you could find them or order them on the net. I have even seen recipes to make your own.

Joel

Joel....another good shot.

But if I may pass on some info I discovered by mistake....earlier in the spring I came across orange flavored suet cakes, I normally by the peanut cakes, so I tried one to bring in the Orioles.

Lo and behold all the WPs (red bellied, hairy, downy and even the n. flickers) preferred the orange over the peanut butter. I have2 suet holders next to each other and I have to fill the orange one every 24 hours while the peanut butter cake will last 2 days. Yes the Orioles enjoy it also.

Re squirrels; I purchased a stand alone 10 pole w/4 hangers and a metalbaffle (2 feet in length x 6 inch diameter w/a scalloped base). I placed baffle about 4 feetup the pole frome the ground, I placedthe pole out of reach of the trees....in 4 yearsnot one squirrel has defeated this setup, but they keep trying.LOL

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.....I appreciate it.

Bill thanks for the tip on orange flavored suet....I haven't seen that anywhere....where did you get it if I may ask?

I have been using a squirrel baffle but it's smaller than the one you describe....I'll have to search for a slightly bigger one.