Thread: New Lens Recommendations Wanted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: New Lens Recommendations Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

I shoot with a 7D, I currently have a 10-22, 24-105L and a 100-400L.

I am considering:

The 100L F2.8 Macro

The 135 L F2.0

The 180 L F3.f Macro

Hi Bob,

I have the 7D and the three lenses in your kit, and also the 100mm L Macro - I can assure you that it's a great addition to your kit. It pairs well with the 7D, too - the AI Servo AF mode on the 7D has mode that's a higher precision AF that's automatically activated when you use a (Canon) macro lens - so, the IS on the lens stabilizes angular and lateral movements, and the AI Servo II mode compensates for on-axis movements when shooting macro handheld.

I'll also second Denise's statement that it's a versatile lens - I've gotten great portraits with it, in addition to the macro uses. I posted these examples one of Jan's threads, but they are relevant here - they were taken within a few minutes of each other, with the 100mm L Macro.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    My only hesitation is that I really like the feel of L lenses with the metal barrels.

FYI, the barrel of your 24-105mm f/4L IS is engineering plastic, just like the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS. The 100mm L Macro definitely feels like an L lens.

Good luck with your decision!

--John

Re: New Lens Recommendations Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    the AI Servo AF mode on the 7D has mode that's a higher precision AF that's automatically activated when you use a (Canon) macro lens

I missed that in the reading, Now, I have to pull out owners manual and read up on this.

the barrel of your 24-105mm f/4L IS is engineering plastic, just like the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS. The 100mm L Macro definitely feels like an L lens.

I would have never known---If the 100L feels like my 24-105---Then I will definitely be satisfied with it. I love the feel and the weight of the 24-105.

I'll also second Denise's statement that it's a versatile lens - I've gotten great portraits with it, in addition to the macro uses. I posted these examples one of Jan's threads, but they are relevant here - they were taken within a few minutes of each other, with the 100mm L Macro.

These are very Nice Shots, I like the Bokeh in the butterfly shot and the portrait (both model and picture quality is gorgeous).

John, I definitely appreciate your input as well as the input of all of the others. You, Denise, Daniel and the rest have certainly helped cement my decision. I plan on ordering the lenstoday or tomorrow and maybe by next weekend I'll have some shots that National Geographic will pay top dollar for[:O]. Well we can always wish.

Thanks again for your insightful response. As always, it is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Bob