Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to the 7D and sell my 50D??

Upgrade to the 7D and sell my 50D??

My cousin is selling his 7D with its 28-135 IS lens, 8 and 16 GB CF cards are going with it. He purchased it last December and it only has a few hundred shots. I trust him and know that he has taken good care of it. He is offering the whole package to me for $1,400.

I'm currently using a 50D and have been happy with it but have been considering an upgrade. I have two EF-S lenses that would fit nicely to the 7D. Any reason why I shouldn't take this deal?

If I buy it, I'll probably sell my 50D.

Thanks, Jeremy
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

Re: Upgrade to the 7D and sell my 50D??

Do it, cant beat that price, with that few of clicks, and you know him personaly so you can visit him, check it out to be 100% sure.

Sounds good to me!

Try it first if you can to make sure you're happy with a) how it works (differences from your 50D) and b) the results it produces.

Jeremy, $1400 for that package is a very good price, if you only have 2 EF-S lenses, I guess you are not interested in action/wildlife/bird yet, if that's the case, instead of upgrading to 7D from 50D,I would suggest you to use that extra money to get a fast prime like 85mm1.8/50mm1.4 or 100mm 2.8macro and even a L zoom like 70-200mm 4.0.

but then if you really need that better AF system, faster burst rate, video etc from 7D. you should go with the 7D package and you might want to sell one of your EF-S lens with your 50D to reduce the total cost.

just my 2 cents.

I was at a wedding a month ago and noticed that the official wedding photographers (two of them) were shooting with Canon 20Ds but "L" level lenses.

This is my way of saying you might want to take a step back and look at what lenses, and maybe flashes,you could buy with the money you'd spend on the camera body upgrade.It seems to me thatonce you get a "good" camera body, getting good to great pictures is more about the lenses/light than the camera body.

That said, I debated between the 50D and the 7D and bought the 7D and really enjoy the camera. The major reasons for me were the weather sealing, body build, and a better movie mode. Granted, I have yet to use the movie mode. I have since also learned about additional features, such as the ability to make specific microadjustments for each lens on the 7D body (thus tayloring the AF of each lens to your specific 7D body). BTW, the 280-135 IS lens may or may not be an upgrade depending on your current lenses. I'd check out the reviews. I didn't buy that lens, instead opting for the EFS 15-85 IS.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

Jeremy, $1400 for that package is a very good price, if you only have 2 EF-S lenses, I guess you are not interested in action/wildlife/bird yet, if that's the case, instead of upgrading to 7D from 50D,I would suggest you to use that extra money to get a fast prime like 85mm1.8/50mm1.4 or 100mm 2.8macro and even a L zoom like 70-200mm 4.0.

but then if you really need that better AF system, faster burst rate, video etc from 7D. you should go with the 7D package and you might want to sell one of your EF-S lens with your 50D to reduce the total cost.

just my 2 cents.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Actually, I've only got one EF-S lens - the 17-55. I am still interested in the action/wildlife/bird photography. I still have plans to buy the new 70-200mm, but the 7D would set my savings plan back a bit.
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Cytoman
    Actually, I've only got one EF-S lens - the 17-55. I am still interested in the action/wildlife/bird photography

That $1400 will get you most of the way to something like the 100-400mm L IS zoom, and more than cover a 300mm f/4L IS. I think your 50D plus a 100-400mm or 300mm prime will get you better bird/wildlife photos than a 7D with nothing longer than 135mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72

I was at a wedding a month ago and noticed that the official wedding photographers (two of them) were shooting with Canon 20Ds but "L" level lenses.

This is my way of saying you might want to take a step back and look at what lenses, and maybe flashes,you could buy with the money you'd spend on the camera body upgrade.It seems to me thatonce you get a "good" camera body, getting good to great pictures is more about the lenses/light than the camera body.

That said, I debated between the 50D and the 7D and bought the 7D and really enjoy the camera. The major reasons for me were the weather sealing, body build, and a better movie mode. Granted, I have yet to use the movie mode. I have since also learned about additional features, such as the ability to make specific microadjustments for each lens on the 7D body (thus tayloring the AF of each lens to your specific 7D body). BTW, the 280-135 IS lens may or may not be an upgrade depending on your current lenses. I'd check out the reviews. I didn't buy that lens, instead opting for the EFS 15-85 IS.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for the insight. I would upgrade to the 7D for the body only. I would resell the 28-135 to help offset the total cost and to keep my savings plan up for the L 70-200mm.
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Cytoman

Actually, I've only got one EF-S lens - the 17-55. I am still interested in theaction/wildlife/bird photography. I still have plans to buy the new 70-200mm, but the 7D would set my savings plan back a bit.

If you're interested inaction/wildlife/bird photography then the 7D would be a nice move in the right direction. It has a much better 19Pt. AF System vs. 9pt., faster burst rate 8fps vs. 6fps., better low light capability with usable pictures at ISO 6400. It also has the weather sealing which is better in the field to resist dust and water. This setup new is $1800, so $1400 used sounds like a decent deal, however if you are looking to upgrade, then that Kit Lens is probably a sideways move for you and you'll probably not be happy with it. See if he will sell you just the 7D for $1200.

A new 7d Body could be purchased for $1540 now. The only thing to think about is if you buy this 7D and Kit lens for $1400 then you will not be able to shoot action/wildlife and bird photography because that lens is too slow for sports and not long enough for wildlife, and you don't have any other lens that will do that either.

Perhaps you could sell something or save up to buy the $1900 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, or the $1300 70-200mm f/2.8L non-IS, or the $1200 70-200mm f/4L IS. The $1900 with IS and 2.8 aperture would be the way to go for sports, you don't need IS for sports, but it will come in handy for wildlife in the woods in low light, and you could eventually add a $300 extender and have a very usable 98-280mm f/4L IS. This is what makes the $1900 Lens much more versatile than the others, by spending the extra money now it's like getting 2 lens when the extender is added later.

Any of the above 70-200mm lenses will let you shoot action, wildlife, and bird photography with your 50D. However, the 7D with the Kit Lens will not allow you to shoot any of this effectively.

So, there you have it, it's your call.

Rich