Thread: Macro Lenses for 550d/Rebel 2ti

Macro Lenses for 550d/Rebel 2ti

Hello,

I am new to this site as I am to the photography and this is my first post.

I've just bought a 550d and also these two lenses with it :

Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD IF Macro

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

Now both of these are Macro Lenses and my primary interest is mainly landscapes etc. - will they still be good for this purpose please or they are only best for close ups etc.?

Also, I just got my camera 550d and did not get anything about the warranty in that like a warranty card etc. - how does the warranty work pls?

Thanks.

Re: Macro Lenses for 550d/Rebel 2ti

Hey and welcome,

first of all, these two lenses are NOt macro lenses. These two lenses just have the capability to use a higher magnification than normal lenses have, but they are definitely not dedicated macro lenses.

In other words, you can pretty much ignore the macro-statement. These lenses are just like normal lenses in those range, but have an extra option: their minimum focus distance is shorter than with normal lenses.

Hope that solves your problem.

I don't have a clue how warranties work in the US, so I'll leave that one to someone else.

Cheers,

Jan

A quote from Bryans review on the Tamron:

"While not what I would consider a true "macro" lens, the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens delivers a best-in-class .32x MM (Maximum Magnification) - a much higher number than the Canon equivalents deliver"

It's available, but its not a dedicated macro lens.

Quote Originally Posted by pdmalik

Also, I just got my camera 550d and did not get anything about the warranty in that like a warranty card etc. - how does the warranty work pls?

If you bought it in the US and If it's new, you should have gotten a warranty card with it. If you didn't, contact the vendor.

Bob
    Bob

Thanks for all your answers - its been great. Such prompt and accurate responses - nice to be here.

On the Warranty, I've ended up a US model in the UK (from eBay UK) so I am sorting that out at the minute ... but things dont look right at the minute.

On the other hand either there is no stock of this camera (need asap) in the UK or its atleast 200 GBPs expensive! So may be I am better off buying a 3rd party warranty or take a chance without any warranty !

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pdmalik
    On the Warranty, I've ended up a US model in the UK (from eBay UK) so I am sorting that out at the minute ... but things dont look right at the minute.

US models come with warranty cards, too. Seems like someone (the eBay seller, possibly) must have opened the box and removed it.

Yes - there is no warranty card. Even if there was one that would have been useless in the UK :-(