Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My very first Lightning shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My very first Lightning shots

Went out to shoot hummers this evening, but got rained out---I ended up with these: Not a bad consolation prize. Also, thanks for the fireworks tips Bryan, they also work fairly well for lightning.

Hope you like,

Bob
    Bob

Re: My very first Lightning shots

Wow, looks like one heck of a storm!! Awesome shots, Bob!

Wow! Those are some lightning fast hummers.[]

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Wow, looks like one heck of a storm!! Awesome shots, Bob!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Denise.
    Bob

Cool Shots.., I hope you used a Carbon Fiber Tripod, so you don't get fried!

That looks pretty scary!

That first shot is kind of unusual with the lightning going sideways as opposed to striking the ground.

Rich

Wow pretty cool Bob!

That 3rd shot is amazing and it looks very very close! [A]

I don't know, but I would try to crop out the first one in panorama-style. It looks amazing.

What settings did you use?

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

I would try to crop out the first one in panorama-style. It looks amazing.

What settings did you use?

Settings: 7D, 24-105L @ 24mm, ISO 100, F11, 30 Second exposure, shutter release, Tripod. All Shots were taken off of my back porch. I tried to frame out all of the nieghborhood distractions like street lights, telephone poles etc but still leave some reference to the ground, i.e. trees. In hind site, my 10-22 may have been a better choice since the lightning was so close.

Her is the crop you suggested:

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

Hmm I'm not sure about it. I like the fact that it lost the disturbing objects, however it somehow lost a sense of nature in it as well. It does seem unnatural going this way, while with the foreground objects you can see that it actually happened. I guess I was wrong [] What do you think yourself?

<div>

Don't know exactly why the color purple---Just before the storm @ sunset the sky was actually a very rich gold color.

I'm not sure either, but I guess you used auto white balance, which could be off for these shots. And perhaps the lightning creates this sort of color due to electrons and gasses or something(like the space photos from Jon Ruyle)...really I have no clue.

Why is the sky normally blue when you look upwards? While if you see shots from a space shuttle or something, it's all black around the earth [A]

This could be an interesting debate [:P]
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Don't know exactly why the color purple---Just before the storm @ sunset the sky was actually a very rich gold color.

I'm not sure either, but I guess you used auto white balance, which could be off for these shots. And perhaps the lightning creates this sort of color due to electrons and gasses or something(like the space photos from Jon Ruyle)...really I have no clue.

Nope, White balance was set to daylight--I figured this was as close to white light as I could get, But---this was also the color actually seen, so I left it alone. I also liked it because it was a little different than normal.

Bob
    Bob

Hmm I'm not sure about it. I like the fact that it lost the disturbing objects, however it somehow lost a sense of nature in it as well. It does seem unnatural going this way, while with the foreground objects you can see that it actually happened. I guess I was wrong [] What do you think yourself?

<div>

Why is the sky normally blue when you look upwards? While if you see shots from a space shuttle or something, it's all black around the earth [A]

This could be an interesting debate [:P]
    </div>