Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body with good IA servo !

Body with good IA servo !

Im using the T1i and I don't like the performance of the IA servo !

Is the 50D better in that matter....or what body do you suggest ?

I gonna upgrade soon !

Thank for your help !

Re: Body with good IA servo !

What are you shooting? If you are shooting something fast and erratic like birds in flight, you need something like the 7D which is very accurate and very fast.

I think the 50D is similar to the 5D which I have. It's better than the T1i but not that good for birds. It's good for objects moving in predictable paths.

Mostly for sport !

But so far for me the T1i did a VERY bad job for VERY predictable movment !

I use 1 point focus through...maybeI should use all point ?!?!

I have no specific body recommendation other than my 1DmkIIN works well but so it damn well should. I'm taking kids moving in low indoor light w 28-70L.

What lens are you using? Newer series tele lenses offer fasterfocus as one of their improvements.

Hey Fred,

is it really the Servo mode that is your problem? Are you sure it isn't the shutterlag of the T1i that bothers you?

I mean, does it focus good or not?

With sports and camera's like the T1i the shutterlag is relatively high. It doesn't mean the Servo mode is bad, but it does mean that at the time the focus is set, the shutterbutton is pushed, focus doesn't change anymore, but your subject might and so your picture will be soft.

If it's really the Servo mode, you should see focus-hunting or no focus at all.

Since the 50D/7D have much lower shutterlag, they are much more suitable for sports. Although I shoot sports myself with a 5D2, the shutterlag is defenitely worse than the 50D or 7D. (Of course the 1-series beat them all, but I'm not sure if it's in the budget [])

What type of shots fail when you shoot sports? As I said I shoot sports sometimes with a 5D2 and it works great until subjects come straight at you. At those moments the shutterlag starts to play on your sharpness. But I've never had problems with the Servo-mode.

Oh and if you use the centre-point only, the 7D will not be better than the 50D in this regard.

Jan

PS: oh and yes like Paul mentioned, the lens is very very important! What lenses do you use?

Also keep in mind the predictive nature of AI Servo only kicks in during continuous shooting after the first shot.

For the first shot, the camera is attempting to track focus, and will start to take the picture the moment you hit the shutter. Due to shutter lag, your subject may be out of the focus area by then.

For subsequent images, the camera predicts the motion and focuses where the object SHOULD be by the time the shutter opens.

No, this isn't in the manual, and yes it really should be.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]
    Quote Originally Posted by fred2112

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]Is the 50D better in that matter....or what body do you suggest ?

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]

Right now, the best Canon Sports/Action Body would be the 1D MKIV $4999, followed by the 7D $1540, and then the 50D $965, in descending order of cost and quality. The best bang for the buck is the 7D for $1540 Body Only.

The 7D has higher resolution (18MP vs. 15MP in 50D), better Autofocus System (19Pt. Cross type vs. 9Pt. Cross type in 50D) , faster fps burst rate (8fps vs. 6fps in 50D), higher standard ISO capability (6400 vs. 3200 in 50D), and better weather sealing than the 50D. The 7D also has Video and the 50D does not and the 7D has a 100% viewfinder and the 50D has a 95% VF.

Be aware that rumor has it that Canon may be releasing a 60D Body next month at Photokina, however I doubt that it will surpass the 7D, because the xD Bodies are usually better than the xxD bodies.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Right now, the best Canon Sports/Action Body would be the 1D MKIV $4999, followed by the 7D $1540, and then the 50D $965, in descending order of cost and quality. The best bang for the buck is the 7D for $1540 Body Only.

Don't forget the 1DMKIII is still out there for $3899. There is also used 1D's

Mark
    Mark

Used, is certainly a good option, with new bodies regularly being replaced every few years.

Even a used 7D might be a good option.

Rich

Thank everyone ...I didn't think about the shutter lag at all... that maybe theproblem!

That a bodyproblemanyway !

I use the Canon 70-200 2.8 !

I shoot roller derby...when skater going strait to me and i use servo mode....1 point center focus...I got about 20% good shot !