Thread: Canon Develops 120 Megapixel APS-H-Size CMOS Sensor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Canon Develops 120 Megapixel APS-H-Size CMOS Sensor

It's quite something, but somehow also predictable...

(At least it seems that way to me, who's been following microprocessors from several thousand transistors up to currently like a billion of them per chip.)

I'd be much more impressed by a new sensor with "noise-free" 15 stops of dynamic range, or "noise-free" ISO 15000!

Ciao, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

It's quite something, but somehow also predictable...

(At least it seems that way to me, who's been following microprocessors from several thousand transistors up to currently like a billion of them per chip.)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Manufacturers will soon abandone quoting the actual pixel count and go with something like this camera has a "E6600 Extreme" sensor when they couldn't increase pixel count anymore. It'll probably happen first in the P and S world wherebigger number always means better product.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

I'd be much more impressed by a new sensor with "noise-free" 15 stops of dynamic range, or "noise-free" ISO 15000!

A certain amount of noise will always be there, because it's an intrinsic property of light itself, but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement at high ISO.