Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens

I recently purchased a Canon T2i and wish to replace the 18-55 kit lens with something better.

The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens seems to be highly rated. Will this lens work well with the T2i body ? Also does the EF lens go on the EF-S camera or do I need some kind of adapter ?

Thanks.

Re: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens

Any EF lens will work on a EF-S body without an adapter. However, an EF-S lens will not work on a non EF-S body.

Can I ask why you're considering the 24-70? The 24-105 f/4 IS is also a great lens and may suit you better depending on your needs. Its a bit cheaper, lighter, and has IS.

And rumor has it Canon is going to update the 24-70 with an IS version possibly this year. So hold off on that purchase for a bit if you can.
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Mike,

Thanks for the good advice. I will hold off on getting that one and wait for the new version.

For a good outdoor zoom lens that also does dawn and dusk shots well do you recommend getting the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens for the T2i body ? I can't seem to get close enough to anything outdoors with the 18-55 kit lens. I was recently trying to shoot geese and wound up getting charged at by one of them, so I've been looking at this really big lens.

-R

The 24-70 f2.8 and the 24-105 f4 are both great walk around lenses for your camera and these lenses will also work on full frame cameras if you later choose to upgrade. Another great choice is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. You may find on your T2i that 24mm is not quite wide enough and therefore the 17-55 may be a better fit. All three of these lenses have superior image quality to your kit lense.

Mark
    Mark

Yes, your T2i can use any EF or EF-S lens. But, do consider whether 24mm will be wide enough - if you've used a 35mm film camera before, 24mm on a 1.6x FOVCF body like yours has an equivalent angle of view to 38mm on 35mm/FF, which isn't really wide angle. Also, as Mike pointed out, IS can be very useful.

Are you planning getting a full frame camera (5DII, 1Ds) soon? If not, IMO the best general purpose lens for a 1.6x crop body is theEF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    If not, IMO the best general purpose lens for a 1.6x crop body is theEF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

I agree, however with the current prices I wouldn't know if I had still bought this lens to be honest. If I personally could live with 24mm on a crop-body like the T2i, the choice would be easier and I would have gone for some L-glass and build. In that case I would have gone with the 24-105.

However if you're choosing between the 24-70 and 17-55, the choice would be harder. Mostly due to the IS system.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG2012
    And rumor has it Canon is going to update the 24-70 with an IS version possibly this year. So hold off on that purchase for a bit if you can.

Perhaps it will actually happen this year, but this rumor hangs around for at least 3 years now [] Don&acute;t put to much money on this bet [:P]
    </div>

The 70-200 f/2.8 II is an awesome lens. I currently have the MK1 and love it. Its certainly a great lens and will get you plenty of reach on a crop body. 1.6 X 70-200 = 112-320mm effectively. If you're doing a lot of wildlife though, I'd recommend the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS. It has more reach, weighs about the same, and is cheaper than the 70-200.

Is there any particular need for the f/2.8? With the ISO capabilities of cameras you can settle for f/4 and still come out with excellent pictures. The only reason I'd say to get f/2.8 lenses is if you're generally shooting in very poor light without flash, and need the better light-gathering ability which translates to better auto-focusing in poor light.

I know that the 24-70 has been on the update list for the past 3 years, but I have good sources saying this may be the year

Mike
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Quote Originally Posted by rbauer
    Will this lens work well with the T2i body ?

Yes. I can think of three main areas that you should be aware of before you make the purchase:

• Angle of view
    • Value
    • Weight

<div>The angle of view is significantly different than your 18-55. If you don't use the 18-24 range very often, then it wont be a problem. But if you do (like me), then you may find that a different lens is better suited for you, such as the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>As for value, there are many other lenses that have the same image quality for half or one third the price (like the Tamron 17-50, Sigma 18-50). There's also the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 which is only a little cheaper, but has image stabilization. But image quality is not all that matters. The 24-70 has excellent build quality, weather sealing, focus rings, and other features that Canon only reserves for it's "L" class lenses.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>The third issue is weight.It weighs five times as much as your kit lens. Some people like to add a battery grip to the T2i body to help it balance better with the heavier 24-70 lens.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    Also does the EF lens go on the EF-S camera or do I need some kind of adapter ?
    </div>

It goes right on just fine.

I have a FF and a crop body and I had the 17-55mm for a while but sold it because it won't fit on a FF body. The 17-55 is a great lens if only you can look past the build quality for this $1000 lens. My copy of 17-55 practically vibrated near the zoom ring area when shooting burst. Now I have the 24-70 which of course has the better build quality but I wish it has the IS like the 17-55 does when shooting indoor.

I'm sure I"ll miss the light weight of the 17-55 when I travel but I just can't afford to keep both lenses together. The upside to the bigger 24-70 is thatpeople tend to listen to you more when posing for group photos if they see you pull that drain pipe out. They assume that you mean business and group photos could be done quicker.

These two are both great lenses which you can't go wrong with but on a cropper, the 17-55 makes just a little bit more sense.

For a good outdoor zoom lens that also does dawn and dusk shots well do you recommend getting the [url="/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx]Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens [/url]for the T2i body ?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Great debate between the EF-24-70mm f/2.8L and the EF-24-105mm f/4L IS, you can't go wrong with either one. The 24-105 has a 3 stop IS advantage, but the the 24-70 has a 1 stop f/2.8 advantage. Things to consider is that the IS advantage doesn't help with moving subjects, it only helps with camera shake, and the 24-70 f/2.8Lis a faster lens that allows twice as much light in then the 24-105 f/4LIS does, so you get a brighter viewfinder at all f-stops and faster focusing. The 24-105mm f/4L aperture and extra focal lenghth on a crop body,are probably better suited foroutdooruse and the faster f/2.8L is better inlower lightindoors use, although the IS on the 24-105mm helps indoors too, so it's probably a wash. The truth is you would probably need a flash for either Lens indoors.

The 24-70mm f/2.8L is faster focusing for close action, like someone jumping off a diving boardor someone on a swing, things like that. If there is plenty of light, then the 24-105mm f/4L should do just fine. The 105mm has some useful cross-over focal lenghth with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II which you're also looking at.

The EF-70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is one the best lenses that Canon makes. I would buy the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS IIfirst and keep the 18-55mm kit lens a little longer, and waitabout amonth to see if the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS version comes out. If it does come out, then this should tip the scale in favor of the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS to be your second lens purchase, if it doesn't come out then I think you will have to weigh the advantages of each. If you're unsure I would go with the 24-70mm f/2.8 version myself, which is what I did.

Here is a little comparison:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Specifications.aspx?Lens=101&amp;LensComp=355&amp; Units=E

Once you get the 70-200mm you may not need the 24-70 as much, since you do have the 18-55, that's of course if reach was your only concern regarding the kitlens.You couldalsoconsider puttingyour money towards a 1.4X converter for the 70-200mm and a 50mm f/1.4 for indoor use.

Rich