Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon Announces EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera

Re: Canon Announces EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera

I'm not convinced at all with the 60D. It seems indeed that Canon is making another type ofcamera. Luckily it doesn't really affect me [:P]

hey all, i've been gone for a bit, my bad [:$] i've been reading up a bit on the 60D, both the comments here, on CR, and reading the review on DPR. what i've noticed is a heck of a lot of bashing, not on here, but on CR and a couple other places i have read, a lot of it seems misplaced to me. i think this is a fine camera, especially for someone upgrading from a rebel like i plan on doing soon. i have an XSi, and was actually thinking of the T2i, then the 7D. i feel the the 60D is perfectly placed in the middle of the two. would i like to see more 7D features on the 60D, well yes, but then price increases. i like the size, between the T2i and 7D, for the segment this camera is aiming for, is a Mg body necessary? i dont think so, and apparently canon doesnt think so. would i like a Mg body, well yes, but then again price comes into it. am i going to miss micro focus adjustment? prob not as i have never used it, and you cant miss what you have never used, which goes for a lot of things the 60D does not have, but it does have a lot of things that my XSi doesnt have, so it is a definate upgrade for me. will i buy a T2i...prob not, will i buy a 7D...maybe, will i buy a 60D....probably.....the choice i make between a 7D and 60D will depend on how much money i save between now and christmas. For all the people that have been complaining today after the announcement, maybe what you really want is a 7D or 5d2, but you either dont have the money or are too cheap, and it seems that a lot of people want all the professional bells and whistles in a camera that costs a grand.........good luck with that. and for all those that have threatened to leave canon and go buy a nikon because they dont like a new camera.........well go right ahead, nikon makes some fine cameras, but i have always shot canon and will continue to do so, and whether that will be a 7D or 60 D in the comming months......well that all depends on finances.

i think canon made a fine decision in re-positioning the xxD series

jim

As an xti looking for an upgrade i was thinking the 60d would be it, i'm basically the target market - someone who likes to shoot but not for money. The 7d seemed like a stretch particularly given the msrp at release and with a 17-55 2.8 i'm into EF-S for a while so no illusions of a 5d in my future.

When reading the specs i'm very much confused by the "creative" bs they have added and how they are differentiating their products. 3 lines really don't make sense anymore if the 60d is taking the super rebel route. Keep the 7d as the premium crop, merge the rebel with the 60d and aggressively price the last generation to fit that price point. Other than an articulating screen wtf is the next rebel going to have that isn't going to upset 60d or 7d people?

On specs, I think SD over CF is a good thing, most systems come with sd slots and cf feels outdated (it's a glorified pci card), Wireless Speedlight control is very cool but I'm perplexed with no multi-flash support and no high speed
    shutter sync flash option. The body is fine, HD video is cool and 1 less fps isn't a huge deal. I don't get the uproar over AF Microadjustment - why is it a big deal?

I thought this announcement would provide a clear path, but it is as clear as mud and I'll probably continue to sit on the fence until the xti is doa.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx0069

i think canon made a fine decision in re-positioning the xxD series

jim

I simply disagree. And you willlong forMicrofocus Adjustment the first time you buy a lens that's just a little off in focus with every shot. Of course, you can send the lens/body combination to Canon and let them calibrate it (which, of course, you'd have to if you purchased the 60D), but it's so much more convenient to fix the problem yourself.

Most people like the added heft and ruggedness that a magnesium body adds to a camera. Once you've held a sturdier body in your hand, and bumped it around quite a bit, you come to realize just how much that particular feature is worth.

Personally, I don't like the repositioning of the xxD series. It's like they've fallen from grace. That said, I'm not in the market for an xxD camera (although I have one for backup purposes), however, I can still have an opinion on the matter.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by finnadat

On specs, I think SD over CF is a good thing, most systems come with sd slots and cf feels outdated (it's a glorified pci card),

CF bandwidth is higher than SD, so I really don't understand why the switch.

I also think Canon needs to step forward and say "we're going to position these product lines on SD and these on CF, so you know what cards to invest in." After starting with CF for my Rebel and 1D3, I decided to add some SD so I could take advantage of the dual slots on my 1D3. I'd decided I wouldn't add any more SD cards, and now that I have a pair of 7Ds, I know I need a lot more CF cards; if SD is going to work its way into the Canon product line, I really have to manage how many more CF cards I buy.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Quote Originally Posted by finnadat

On specs, I think SD over CF is a good thing, most systems come with sd slots and cf feels outdated (it's a glorified pci card),

CF bandwidth is higher than SD, so I really don't understand why the switch.

When they went from 400D to 450D they did exactly the same and I don't get it either. Cheaper? Takes less space.. Easier?

Just to add one thing: my local shop sells 90MB/s CF cards vs 30MB/sec SD cards. And then I'm talking about the most expensive and fastest ones...

In other words: downloading 21MP photos from my 5D2 to my pc goes faster than downloading 12MP photos from my girlfriends 450D to my pc. If you just shot like 1000 photos or shot some heavy video.... good luck with your SD card []

I have to admit. I was giddy when I read the post on my phone at school today. I couldn't wait to see what might be my next camera.[]

Now that I have gotten home and really had a chance to read the "fine print," I am not so excited anymore.[8-)]I lot of the "improvements" to this camera seem "plasticky." Losing AF-microadjustment and moving over to SD cards is mind boggling to me. You lose the sturdy body, you lose FPS, you get a what seems fragile LCD arm thing. What a downer.

I had told myself before that the next camera I buy is going to be a 5D or 1D; now I know I am just gonna wait. Coming from a 50D to this, I just don't think I would be happy.

*shrug*[N]
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

After reading the 60D specs, I'm even happier with the50D I bought last Fall.I recently invested in a 16GB, 90 MB/s CF card and this thing just smokes. I love the magnesium body, the AF micro-adjustment (had to use it to +5 my 24-105L lens), the toggle button, and the 15 MP sensor. I've done plenty of cropping with no noticeable loss of IQ, I don't think I'll ever covet an 18 MP sensor.

OK, so the 60D has video, but I have a separate video camera for that.

I'm pretty sure this body is aimed at Rebel users who want a snappier, faster camera that shoots video. This is a perfect "family" camera for folks that'll never use a micro-adjust feature - I'm sure that's why they left it off. Same with the plastic body - it's something 95% of Canon customers won't ever notice. I can't find the shutter lag / VF blackout specs but I imagine they're improved over the Rebel series - probably not over the current and recent-past x0D line.

The one thing I don't get is the AF system - still the same from the 40D? (i think) I don't know what's going on with Canon and their AF designs but they are lagging behind big time. That 5D2 is such a beauty but it's saddled with a 5-year old AF. Sure you can say "it's not meant to be a sports camera" but let's face it, that FF 21MP sensor deserved better.

So the 60D has a bigger buffer, the latest processor and more rez than the x0D cameras, so I guess that makes it an upgrade.

Personally I'm a little leery of any camera where DLA squeezes a lens' sweet spot down to 1 or 2 apertures. If the 50D and the 7D are any indications of the trend I'm not sure we're better off all in all. I know most 50D/7D owners are quite happy with their cameras and they get great shots. I'm just wondering if maybe we're beginning to bump up against the law of diminishing returns regarding pixel density...

wat no carbon fiber?

sounds like they are prepping to keep af-micro adjustment over the $1500 price point.