Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two New Telephoto Lenses Under Development, "EF500mm F4L IS II USM" & "EF600mm F4L IS II USM"

Two New Telephoto Lenses Under Development, "EF500mm F4L IS II USM" & "EF600mm F4L IS II USM"

In case anyone hasn't seen yet, Canon has two new lens prototypes they will be showing at anupcomingevent.

Obviously just upgrades over the old versions. I assume 4+ stop IS will be coming too.

Not like many of us own, or can own either one of these lenses.. just fun to hear about whats up and coming.

Press release

Re: Two New Telephoto Lenses Under Development, "EF500mm F4L IS II USM" & "EF600mm F4L IS II USM"

these days, I have to say I can't stop think those version II big lenses. yes they sound sooooooo good, and yes they are sooooo expensive.

if the 500mm II+ 2xTC III will still produce very high image quality and fast enough AF for BIF and reduce the weight enough for me to handhold and the price will be hopefully less than $10000, then I probably will sell my 300mm 2.8 and......... maybe......[^o)]

can you imaging if you can handheld a 1120mm 5.6 or a 1600mm 8.0 lens and doing BIF......

Re: Two New Telephoto Lenses Under Development, "EF500mm F4L IS II USM" & "EF600mm F4L IS II USM"

I'm not giving up my 300mm 2.8L ... I love it too much, but I have been holding off on getting a longer focal length supertele.....

If the new 600mmf/4 IIcomes in smaller, sharper with the new TC's and lighter than the current 500mmf/4 that would be verrrrry interrrresting!

For me that would be a nifty, hand-holdable combo.

I have almost pulled the trigger on a 500 f/4 several times....glad I waited now....will be curious to see the actual performance and street price and to see if version I prices go down.

I suspect the higher cost is because Canon is using more fluorite glass elements to lessen chromatic problems and enhance resolution, contrast and sharpness in order to keep up with sensor technology. These prices though will make a big dent in the price advantage that Canon has had over Nikon.

the most attractive change of version II lenses is weight loss IMO. perhaps reducing a 11.6lb lens to a 8.5 lb lens alone will be worth the price increase for those people who can hanhold their 500mm I(8.5lb). people sure expecting the weight of the new 600mm will be reduced to that level since it's weight of version I is as same as the 400mm I.

for those people(like me) who can't handhold the 8.5lb lens, then the 500mm II is more interesting if they can reduce it's weight to the 300mm 2.8 level which is 5.6lb, price is another fact that will put people to this lens even they can handle heavier weight.

Joel, if you get the 500 or 600 later and still want to keep the 300, will you consider to trade it for a 200mm 2.0/ I think I probably will if I were you.

another thing to watch is the IQ and AF of the version II lens TC III combo.since I have been thinking getting a longer one(500 or 600) too, if say the IQ and AF of 300mm II+2x TCIII combo is similar to 600mm I, for $7000, it's probably worth to upgrade to the 300mm II +TCs. sure I'll have 1 stop slower at 600mm, but I'll get better 300mm, and a handhodable 600mm don't forget a better IS.

according to Canon, in order to achieve the best performance that the new lenses and TCs can give, you need a 1D or 1Ds body. it's a lot harder for me to put $5000 on a body than to put $10000 on a lens though I'v been thinking about the 1D IV for long time. it's a damn expensive hobby anyways.

I can keep dreaming, but a 1dIV + 500mm II +TCsIII + trypod wimbly head combo sounds definitely too much for an amateur[]

JJphoto.....I doubt I would trade my 300mm 2.8 for a 200mm 2.0 because I already have the version 1 70-200mm 2.8 which covers that focal length adequately for me. I love the results I get with the current 300 2.8 so I doubt I would want to spend anything to upgrade it.

I picked up a used 1D MKIII from Adorama for $2400 earlier this year, it's a lot less expensive to stay just one generation behind on camera bodies especially since they depreciate so fast. May be in a year or so I might trade it for a used MKIV.

I WILL eventually get a longer lens (within the next 2 years) since I am into bird photography mostly, I have a Gitzo tripod/Wimberly head so weight isn't the only factor but as I said IF the new 600 is lighter, sharper (with and without TC's) than the current 500 I would go for the 600 version II....I can hand hold 8 lbs no problem.

Actually I'm very tempted by the current 800mm, probably the new 600mm won't be any cheaper but it MAY be more hand-holdable.

Amateur or not, if you love it why not go for it ..... you can't take it with you and if you die broke or in debt so what!!![]

this is what i read on dpreview.com

"Allowing professional photographers to shoot distant subjects without
    having to carry a number of heavy lenses with them, these new extenders
    ensure there is no compromise on image quality. "

"To facilitate the accurate transfer of imaging data between the lens
    and camera body, both models feature an integrated processor which
    ensures all focusing, metering and ID information is available –
    allowing the photographer to capture crisp, well-exposed images. When
    combined with the latest range of premium Canon L-series lenses, these
    extenders enable higher AF accuracy compared to previous generations,
    ensuring professionals achieve perfectly sharp shots, even when
    capturing moving subjects."

it sounds a little too good...,can't wait to see the reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    Amateur or not, if you love it why not go for it ..... you can't take it with you and if you die broke or in debt so what!!![img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

hmmmmmm, let's see[]

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto
    perhaps reducing a 11.6lb lens to a 8.5 lb

That would be extremely hopefull indeed, I think probablly 10lbs would be more like it.Something like the 800mmf/5.6 in weight.They are big and heavy and there's no getting around it.[]

John.

John, check this out http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3508 it says"But the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM now weighs just 8.5 lbs., a whopping 28% lighter than the current EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM lens."

if I'm not wrong, the 400mm I and the 600mmI are all 11.6lbs.

But the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM now weighs just 8.5 lbs., a whopping 28% lighter

Note that the '28% lighter' figure doesn't include the additional weight removed from your wallet - factor that in, and this lens will be pretty easy to carry (assuming your significant other hasn't broken your legs for spending that much...).

if I'm not wrong, the 400mm I and the 600mmI are all 11.6lbs.

Yep, there are the same. But 11.8lbs for both.

"But the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM now weighs just 8.5 lbs.

What?! Thats incredibly light weight![:O] But at 11 grand I think I can live with the weight.

John.