Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Portrait Lens: 85L or 70-200 2.8 IS II?

Re: Next Portrait Lens: 85L or 70-200 2.8 IS II?

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa
    Your 24-70mm L should make fantastic portraits.

I kindly disagree. While it's great for environmentals, three quarters, etc., At 70mm, tight headshots are going to violate the subject's personal space (by American standards, anyway -- other countries have different norms for personal space). More importantly, the perspective will enlarge noses, which isn't flattering for many subjects.

It sounds like you just started using the camera and are probably only using it to a tiny feaction of its capability. A new lens will probly not improve your images, you need to master lighting and composition.

This part of the post struck me as a bit rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Nice to see someone else tout the 50 1.2. I love my 50 1.2. It is the lens I use 80% of the time. I'll go for the 85L first if I have the room but I don't feel like I'm making any concessions with the 50.

Keith, are you saying that you would choose the 85 over the 50 if you usually had plenty of room to work with?

I'm thinking about these lenses (have been for some time). I always thought I would get the 85 f/1.2 first. For one thing, it is sharper. For another, I like I like that focal length on ff better for perspective and prefer a little more working distance. Also, I like the look of pictures taken with larger aperture lenses, perhaps because the quantity of blur is greater at a given f number when you use a longer focal length.

But all of this must be weighed against the superior *quality* of blur on the 50 1.2, and perhaps this is more important than all the rest.

I'm just sort of babbling here, but since you have both lenses, I'd appreciate anything you have to say

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Keith, are you saying that you would choose the 85 over the 50 if you usually had plenty of room to work with?

I'm thinking about these lenses (have been for some time). I always thought I would get the 85 f/1.2 first. For one thing, it is sharper. For another, I like I like that focal length on ff better for perspective and prefer a little more working distance. Also, I like the look of pictures taken with larger aperture lenses, perhaps because the quantity of blur is greater at a given f number when you use a longer focal length.

But all of this must be weighed against the superior *quality* of blur on the 50 1.2, and perhaps this is more important than all the rest.

I'm just sort of babbling here, but since you have both lenses, I'd appreciate anything you have to say

I would take the 85L over the 50L if space allowed. It doesn't focus as fast but it is definitely more accurate especially at wide f/stops. Both produce amazing images but I think the 85 are just a little more so. I don't shoot f/8+ often so I don't see the focus shift of the 50 and can't really say if it is or isn't an issue. I definitely don't see it at 5.6. The 50 1.2 handles CA better. It is actually amazing how little CA the 50 has wide open.

Thanks, Keith. I'll probably go with the 85 when the time is right.

The 50 1.2 handles CA better.

Really, it is amazing how little CA these fast lenses have. There was a time when f/10 was considered too fast due to CA. (A long time ago, sure, but still )

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Thanks, Keith. I'll probably go with the 85 when the time is right.

The 50 1.2 handles CA better.

Really, it is amazing how little CA these fast lenses have. There was a time when f/10 was considered too fast due to CA. (A long time ago, sure, but still )

I owned the 35 1.4 first and at 1.4 CA could be pretty heavy. Then I got the 85 1.2 and I think I'd say the CA was similar so when I got the 50 1.2 I was blown away at well it handle CA. I don't know if it is the FL or what, since the 85 and 50 about the same age technology wise.

You won't have any regrets with the 85L. Especially if you are accustomed to that FL. After a couple days shooting with it you won't even think about the price. With the cost of the lenses coming out, the 85L seems like a bargain anyway.

A photographer I've worked with in the past has the 85L. It's to die for. Especially on the 5dmkII. GET IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Your 24-70mm L should make fantastic portraits.

I kindly disagree. While it's great for environmentals, three quarters, etc., At 70mm, tight headshots are going to violate the subject's personal space (by American standards, anyway -- other countries have different norms for personal space). More importantly, the perspective will enlarge noses, which isn't flattering for many subjects.

It sounds like you just started using the camera and are probably only using it to a tiny feaction of its capability. A new lens will probly not improve your images, you need to master lighting and composition.

This part of the post struck me as a bit rude.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking that. I might be mistaken, but I don't think you've ever seen my work, so maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

I shot an event today (60thanniversaryparty) and the 24-70is great for certain things, like picking up detail shots and wide portraits, but it is too short to get a tight portrait, at least on a FF.I'm sure my subjects wouldn't have enjoyed me sticking a 24-70 2 feet from their nose to get a candid headshot, especially considering what that does to a subject's nose. I don't see why you have a problem with me needing a longer lens.

<meta charset="utf-8" />

Anyway, I am still super torn about what lens to pick up. Keith, the way you talk about the 85L makes me want to drive to the store right now and buy it, but I'm afraid it won't beversatileenough. I was super glad to have a zoom while shooting that party today. Then again, most of my shoots are portraits where I have more control and time to capture a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox

Anyway, I am still super torn about what lens to pick up. Keith, the way you talk about the 85L makes me want to drive to the store right now and buy it, but I'm afraid it won't beversatileenough. I was super glad to have a zoom while shooting that party today. Then again, most of my shoots are portraits where I have more control and time to capture a shot.

Event shooting is definitely a place for zooms. I shot an event a couple months ago with with the intentions of solely using a 5DII w/35L and a 7D w/85L. I did occasionally throw the 70-200 on the 7D to get shots where I couldn't get closer. Events aren't my main gigs so I sold the 70-200 to help pay for the 85L. I sold it to a buddy that will let me borrow it when I need it.

A little warning though, once you shoot with the 85L you may not want to use zooms ever again. My 24-70 use to be my most used lens but after shooting with the 35L and 85L I had a hard time pulling it out of the bag. I added the 50L and will probably sell the 24-70 and the 35L. The only zoom lens I've used lately is the 16-35.

A little warning though, once you shoot with the 85L you may not want to use zooms ever again.

Keith, you sure are makin' it hard for me to get over my obsession with this lens! I have bought two lenses since you first got me hooked on wanting this baby thinking they were much better suited for me but I STILL WANT THE 85L! [:'(] I was going to rent it to see if it was really true love or just infactuation but I was afraid I wouldn't want to part with it! [:P]

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

A little warning though, once you shoot with the 85L you may not want to use zooms ever again.

Keith, you sure are makin' it hard for me to get over my obsession with this lens! I have bought two lenses since you first got me hooked on wanting this baby thinking they were much better suited for me but I STILL WANT THE 85L! [:'(] I was going to rent it to see if it was really true love or just infactuation but I was afraid I wouldn't want to part with it! [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Denise

Denise

I figured you'd have this bug after shooting with the 35L. That was first prime love and sadly since I've had the 50 1.2 it sees little use and may go on the auction block.

If it helps ease you desire any, when I used the 85L on a crop, It wasn't that mind blowing. I think it just had to do with being farther away and the images seemed to flatten out a little.