Thread: My favourite lens - the 85mm f1.2L

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: My favourite lens - the 85mm f1.2L

Not comparing their uses. I want both and will eventually get both. Just don't know which one I will get first.

I'm leaning toward the 85L.

I got the 70-200 first, and think it's more useful in more situations, however....

the 85L is better at doing what only it can do. Ridiculously good in low light. Stupidly sharp. It's a kind of magic []

my 24-105 and 70-200 see the most time, but the fast primes win when you've got the time and room to maneuver yourself, or can just accept that you're at a fixed focal length and lose some shots.

I wish they'd update the 50mm....

BTW, anybody know if the 50 f/1.4 shifts focus at different apertures like the f 1.2?

If I had to give up one... hmmm...

I can't.

In low light I'm a fixed guy. I have the 24 1.4L MkI, 50 1.4 (can't justify the 1.2L when the 1.4 is so good) and would like to compliment them with the 85 1.2L. I'd probably use the 85 quite a bit. I do a lot of head shots and portrait type work. When I'm using my 24-105 I find myself using at 24, 50 and 70mm most of the time. So I think I'll train myself to take a step or two back and go for the 85.