Thread: what lens you recommend?

what lens you recommend?

Hello, I have a Canon 5D, always use a 50mm f1.8, is the only one I have [] and Im thinking of getting another lens but don´t know witch one would fit better for my type of pictures Im taken.

Here you can see the pictures Im taken, the Malawi and Several are taken with my 50mm. Do you think its better to get a flash first??

regards

http://www.alejandrozerolo.mye.name/

Re: what lens you recommend?

Cachimba, I just replied to your 10-22 post. You did not mention your camera was a 5D. Unless you have a second body you were asking about, disregard my 17-55 recommendation. Both the 10-22 and 17-55 are Canon EF-S lenses and WILL NOT work with a 5D.

Thanks, so what do you recommend me, how do I know if it is ok for my 5D?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cachimba
    Thanks, so what do you recommend me, how do I know if it is ok for my 5D?

Any of the EF Canon lenses will work. I like my EF 24-70 f/2.8 L USM for inside. If you want wide, keeping in mind it is not the best for portrait use I would go with the EF 17-40 f/4 USM. The EF 17-40 f/4 USM would be close to the 10-22 you were looking at. However, I would go with the 24-70 first. The EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM is also an excellent choice, but it lets in half as much light as the 24-70 f/2.8.

I think the best thing you could do is spend the weekend reading Bryan's reviews of various lenses to help give you a better understanding of the different lenses. His reviews are a great resource.

Chris

Well, you seem to be doing very well with the "fantastic plastic", so why not stick to what works? Cheap primes: 28mm f/2.8 is only $250 and will be perfect for pulling in a lot more of the background while staying close to your subject. As Robert Capa said,"If your picture isn't good enough, you're not close enough." A wider lens will help you get closer.

Next I'd suggest the 100mm f/2. This is a much different angle of view from your 50mm, but it's still very fast and excellent for portraits. It's $450.

Third I would advise an upgrade for your 50mm. The nifty fifty has a very bad focus ring, terrible build quality, ugly bokeh, and other disadvantages. I suggest the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 as a replacement. I think it's better than the equivalent Canon in everything except perhaps autofocus.

Fantastic plastic ufff Im lost, sorry Im not english and I don´t get that? do you mean the 50 mm?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Cachimba
    do you mean the 50 mm?

Yes, precisely.

I second the 28mm f/2.8, you might also like the 35mm f/2.0, similar price and 1 stop faster. I noticed you mentioned a flash, f/2.0 might help over 28mm f/2.8, but you won't be able to go as wide... but still wider than 50mm, allowing you to get closer.