Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5D Mark II now or to wait?

Re: 5D Mark II now or to wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski

Does anyone have much experience with the 50mm f/1.2L. I had been considering this lens, and if I did get a 5D II it would be a good opportunity since I could get $200 off. Where do you find yourself using it the most? Events? Studio only?

The bokeh is absolutely awesome. I shot a wedding with it and it's really hard to nail focus at f/1.2, but when you do it looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Trowski

Does anyone have much experience with the 50mm f/1.2L. I had been considering this lens, and if I did get a 5D II it would be a good opportunity since I could get $200 off. Where do you find yourself using it the most? Events? Studio only?

Since my purchase of the 50 1.2 it has easily become my most used lens. My 24-70 never comes out of the case anymore. My approach to most shoots these days is 5DII w/85 1.2 and 1DsII w/50 1.2. I recently did an outside almost exclusively with the 50. Even though I had alot of room I was on a hill and the 85 would have put me too far below the subject. I was really stoked on the results. I'd have no reservation using this lens for everything except tight head shots.

I sometimes shoot in servo when shooting at 1.2 even if the subject is stationary. The servo doesn't know if it is the subject or the photographer moving and seems to compensate for rocking I do that would throw off the focal plane.

How about for candids during the reception? I've always found the 24-70mm to be great for that. However usually a flash is required because when you're talking about a reception, you're usually talking about a fairly dark room. Even with the 50mm f/1.2, I would think a flash might be required to make sure to maintain an action-stopping shutter speed. What are your experiences?
    - Trowski

At ISO 800 and 1.2 you can shoot in very very low light and if you are shooting with the 5DII, ISO 1600 is not a problem. I think 1.2 and ISO 1600 you will be able to get reasonably fast shutter speeds. You will be amazed at how much light is soaked up at 1.2. Just remember you won't get much in focus at 1.2. So group shots are not going to happen. You pretty much are just getting (most of) one person's face in focus at 1.2.

Considering Photokina is only 10 days away, I'm starting to think I should wait and see what happens there. Maybe I'd have a better idea of what Canon has in store for the future. I would expect them to update the 1Ds line soon, and I would think that would spell a 5D line update sometime soon afterward.
    - Trowski